Good mic with minijack for an FX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 20th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #1
Trustee

Good mic with minijack for an FX1

Hi Guys,

I'm looking into a good/afordable mic for my FX1. I don't want to buy a beachtek, so I guess I'll have to go with one that has a minijack to connect directly to the FX1 input. I was going to buy the Rode Videomic, but I read some people say it picks up noise from the camera and I can't have that. Any suggestions without having to spend a fortune?
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I think you are going to get some sort of noise if the mic is attached to the camera. If you get a Rode Videomic, it can be used with a boompole which is really cool. I have one, and a boompole, but I've yet to really test it out. I like the quality of the mic. I also have an AT822 which is a nice stereo mic that has a mini jack. It runs off of battery power.... Hope that helps out?
Brett Whited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes
Any suggestions without having to spend a fortune?
What type of application is this for? Do you need an on-camera mic, or something detached? I have a nice cardioid stereo mic, runs on batteries, that has XLR-to-mini adapter. It works pretty well, haven't really noticed noise (but then, most of my shots are quite steadily noisy. Hmm, have to try the mic in a quiet room over a long XLR cable....). I don't remember make/model off-hand, but I can check when I get home and post, if you like.

Edit.....
Ok, I have a Nady CM-2S, for wired. Works very nicely for me. Also have the Azden 200UPR receiver with a 10HT and 10BT (got the set just recently). Still lusting over the Beachtek stuff, but I think what I have will suffice for now.

ciao,
Matt

Last edited by Matt Vanecek; January 20th, 2006 at 10:18 PM.
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 04:35 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks guys. I really would like to invest in a better mic, but between the Fx1 with all the accesories and a dual core amd...the isn't much of a budget for sound. I mainly work with comercials and music videos, but I really miss doing personal narrative projects (I also have a personal documentary planned) and it would be cool if I could record at least part of the dialogs oncamera (decentely). I guess the XLR to minijack adapter could be a good solution to get access to a better mic.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 08:45 AM   #5
Major Player

B&H sells cables that go from an xlr (at the mic end) to an 8th inch for your camera. It's made just for this purpose so it handles impedence (i don't know what this is really) correctly.

I have an fx1. I'm very pleased with the sound of the onboard stereo mic. I wouldn't use it for one of my high end promo videos, but for the right kind of documentary I wouldn't hesitate.

Daniel
www.stock20.com
Daniel Rudd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio