Alesis Multimix 16 USB at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 19th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Alesis Multimix 16 USB

Anyone use the Alesis Multimix 16 USB mixer for live multi-channel recording direct to a laptop? Does one get a separate file for each channel? Is USB fast enough? I'm interested in using something like this to handle audio for event coverage and would appreciate any info.

Regards,
Jerry

Last edited by Jerry Jesion; January 19th, 2006 at 08:33 PM.
Jerry Jesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #2
Major Player

Thanks for this! I am very interested in it now!
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Don't know anything about this particular unit, but as to USB being fast enough ... USB 2.0 should be okay but USB 1.x is really less than optimal. Firewire is better than either one if it's possible for you to do.
Old January 20th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #4
Major Player

I've read about the USB version. It seems to be a gimmick. The firwire version costs $200 more for a reason. Apparently it is more integrated with whatever audio software you use, it allows for the realtime transfer of 8 individual tracks to your software, in other words. The USB version only transfers your final 2-channel mix via the USB. :(
Old January 21st, 2006, 05:00 PM   #5
Major Player

The firewire one would be the one to get. But beware! There is a misprint in the manual in regards to installing the drivers that apparently will mess up its ability to operate. Oh and the unit has got to be powered down before you try to operate it after rebooting the computer. Apparently it stores info in its buffers that need to be reset seperate from the computer. No biggie!
Old January 21st, 2006, 05:17 PM   #6
Capt. Quirk

I've used a Korg multitrack, and it will only out put a mixed down stereo file. However, you can output whatever track you like, edit it, and then mix it back into your file... if that is what you were asking.
Old January 21st, 2006, 05:57 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
I've used a Korg multitrack, and it will only out put a mixed down stereo file. However, you can output whatever track you like, edit it, and then mix it back into your file... if that is what you were asking.
Never thought of it that way. I do miss having a standalone. I had a SONY 4-track minidisc and a Fostex FD-4.
Old January 21st, 2006, 07:30 PM   #8
Capt. Quirk

I had a Korg D 12, and liked the ability to record 6 tracks at once. It was great for doing bands, and running the mics and instruments into their own channel. It made mixing sweet, because I could adjust the instruments down, and bring out the vocals, or tone down the drums when they were too loud.

I did not like losing everything when the breaker flipped. That is why it is history.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio