Holy Smoke! AT 1800 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 13th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Ty...

I no longer use a Firestore as I had to give it up for a few reasons. One of the reasons was the RF problem.

Interesting there's a problem with the Sound Devices recorder. As I'd mentioned, I also noticed a noise problem with a LaCie external drive when doing a test. It's the hard drive. These things spew quite a bit of RF noise when spinning and especially when writing data.

The x-version I have operates at 656.125-668.500 MHz. Yours operates at 728.125-740.500 MHz.

Maybe the different band might make a difference but I'd guess probably not. The RF noise these hard drives emit are very broadband.

I wonder if the really expensive wireless systems filter out this interference better than th eless expensive ones?

Other than the rare instance of RF interference, I found all the AT units to be the next best thing to a hardwired mic at reasonable distances.
Old March 18th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Can anyone please confirm whether or not you hear the click when you mute the AT1800 beltpack?

I've got the AT892 microset and was gonna buy their AWT-RMS1 remote mute switch.

If someone can convince me the AT1800 series system beltpack mute switch wouldn't be heard via an auditorium loudspeaker system, I'd more than likely go down this route.

TIA
Neil
Neil McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Neil...

The muting at the transmitter end is absolutely silent. And if you turn off the transmitter there's no "hash" noise since the squelch seems to handle that instantly.

But if you turn off the receiver there's a click.
Old March 19th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui View Post
Neil...

The muting at the transmitter end is absolutely silent. And if you turn off the transmitter there's no "hash" noise since the squelch seems to handle that instantly.

But if you turn off the receiver there's a click.
Thanks for that Dean.

Your feedback has been very useful.

Neil
Neil McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #35
Major Player

Few questions about ATW1800 for documentary audio

Is the output from the ATW 1800 receiver usable with stereo mini jack mic input on low end camcorders?
Another thing is that is the 1800 system usable all over the world (there are at least C and D bands)?

As far as I know two wireless channels on ATW 1800 can be mixed together to one output channel of the receiver so it is possible to use third wired mic additionally.

Is all that doable with the standard mini jack input on camcorder too or in other words does the mini jack mic input on consumer camcorder take the balanced output from the receiver? Can the mini XLR be terminated to do so?

Thanks in advance,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #36
Regular Crew

any sound quality comparison between the AT 1800 vs the sennheiser G2 yet ?
Jason Strongfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #37
Inner Circle

"Is the output from the ATW 1800 receiver usable with stereo mini jack mic input on low end camcorders?"

The input on the camera has to be able to take in a mic-level input. And you will need to convert or adapte the XLR connector to a 1/8" connnector.

"As far as I know two wireless channels on ATW 1800 can be mixed together to one output channel of the receiver so it is possible to use third wired mic additionally."

You can combine outputs on the ATW 1800 so that it mixes both inputs to a single cable, but to get another mic to feed your camera you're going to need a mixer. The ATW 1800 won't allow a third input.

"Another thing is that is the 1800 system usable all over the world."

You'd have to check each country's frequency listing to find out whether you can use a particular wireless mic system there. The mic manufacturers usually have a list available for the asking.
Old April 15th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #38
Inner Circle

OK.. Just ordered this setup myself.

Based on seeing comments regarding the stock lav is there a consensus yet on the best mic element to use?

Chris
Old April 18th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Hey DSE,

I have a question.

I got my AT1800 setup today. I connected it to my V1 and everything works fine. The question I have though is the unit seems to have some background white noise. It is coming from the receiver regardless of any incoming signal from either channel. I've been able to minimize it by turning up the mic output on the receiver and reduce the gain on the input of the V1. If I turn the V1's AGC on it becomes MUCH more noticeable (as I would have expected). The inputs are set for MIC level. I can even hear it over the headphone jack on the receiver.

Does your setup exhibit the same thing?

I've used my friends Lectrosonic setup and it doesn't do this at all. Dead silent.

I know we are talking about apples and oranges here when it comes to class of equipment between the AT and the Lec. If this is the way it is OK. Just wanting to know if I have a problem.
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #40
New Boot

How are your AT 1800 transmitters holding up after about a year? That's the length of the warranty. Any issues with the belt clips or any little pieces of plastic breaking? Do they make a sleeve for the transmitters? I wish they were built like the metal casing of the dual receiver along with the sturdier clip.
Mike Altman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #41
Inner Circle

So far I've had no problems with the mics and they're still delivering good audio.

AT does have a sturdy plastic sleeve to help weatherproof them, although they're a little too short if you tried to roll them up with the velcro seal. The antenna would have to be folded down to allow the sleeve to be folded shut.

Instead I seal up the opening with a piece of duct tape and that works well.
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
Hey DSE,

I have a question.

I got my AT1800 setup today. I connected it to my V1 and everything works fine. The question I have though is the unit seems to have some background white noise. It is coming from the receiver regardless of any incoming signal from either channel. I've been able to minimize it by turning up the mic output on the receiver and reduce the gain on the input of the V1. If I turn the V1's AGC on it becomes MUCH more noticeable (as I would have expected). The inputs are set for MIC level. I can even hear it over the headphone jack on the receiver.

Does your setup exhibit the same thing?

I've used my friends Lectrosonic setup and it doesn't do this at all. Dead silent.

I know we are talking about apples and oranges here when it comes to class of equipment between the AT and the Lec. If this is the way it is OK. Just wanting to know if I have a problem.
Might just be a mute that Lectro has. The AT folks are very attentive to phone calls. Call Ohio and ask to talk to their wireless mic dept.

Regards,

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Altman View Post
How are your AT 1800 transmitters holding up after about a year? That's the length of the warranty. Any issues with the belt clips or any little pieces of plastic breaking? Do they make a sleeve for the transmitters? I wish they were built like the metal casing of the dual receiver along with the sturdier clip.
no issues here at all. The metal case would be nice, but it's not an issue for us, even though we're pretty damn hard on our gear.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #44
Inner Circle

No problems here. Once I figured out that I needed to put the audio gain in manual I've not had white noise issues on tape. The V1 gains up a LOT and that was causing my audio hiss.

The only thing I've done is lost the mic clip. I've gotten around it by using a clip from a audio headset. Fits pretty well actually.
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #45
Trustee

What mics ship with the Body Pack Transmitter versions of the 1800 wireless set?

Is it the AT830 (that looks a bit like a Tram)?

Thanks!
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio