Countryman B6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 21st, 2007, 12:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Countryman B6

My Azden wireless lav has done a poor job at weddings. It's not cutting out, but it continually sounds like it's rubbing even when the officiant is standing still. I'm thinking that my problem is the lav itself, and thinking of upgrading to a $400 Countryman B6, per another post on this site.

I don't know if that's overkill or not. I just need a good lav for weddings, and the Countryman's boast is that it's the smallest lav in the world. I don't care much about that -- I just want to end the rub & wind noise for outdoor weddings in particular. I also don't know if I would be putting a gold ring in a pig's snout -- should I get a new wireless system also?

Last edited by Douglas Spotted Eagle; April 22nd, 2007 at 11:45 AM. Reason: non-community link
Dana Salsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 05:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Well, it's really up to you. I've said it before but I've been using the Azden 500Us for about 5+ years and frankly the systems have served me very very well. I've not had 1 single instance of audio drops OR crossover with churches, other venues or even other newies out there shooting breaking stuff.
I did however get rid of the standard 503 mics. I have the Sony ECM44 and the Azden 505 which is a uni-directional and while neither are as quite as the Countryman or even the Trams they have certainly imporved the quality of the audio over the 503 mics.
I am not telling you what to do but before you buy anything (unless you really want to spend the dough) tell us which Azden gear you have. A lot of the older stuff really isn't up to par but again I only have experience with the 500s and frankly they have never ever failed me and I am happy with the quality I get from them.

Tell us more so we can help you spend your money ;-)

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 05:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Don,

I have the Azden WR-Pro. For a pro series it has always seemed a bit cheap. It has an 1/8th" plug that goes from the receiver right into my FX1.
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:03 PM   #4
Trustee

countryman mics

We have a pair of countryman's at work and I can tell you that you will not ever regret your decision to buy one. It is hands down the best sounding lav I've ever heard and it's small size allows you to hide it easily if you so wish.

Now let me say that I'm a bit worried when you say that it sounds like your current mic is rubbing even when the officiant is standing still. I'd carefully evaluate what you're hearing and see if it might be interference and not a mic rubbing.
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 08:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dana,
I agree about the B6s - they do sound awesome but I also agree that you might not be hearing what you think you are hearing.
I would also say that the particular system you have is not high on anyones list as being a very good system. I don't mean to sound cruel but IF you are in the position at all to get a different system I would suggest that before investing in a B6 for the particualr system you currently have. Again as I stated before I have and use Azden but it's a completely different system than what you have.
Perhaps you can borrow or even rent a different system for the next gig just to be able to compare the quality and the noise issue. Then you'll know for sure.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:04 AM   #6
Major Player

I've been editing tape from the wedding, and I'm convinced it's interferance, as sometimes it cuts out altogether. This is the second wedding that I've experienced this. I think I'll retire the Azden as an emergency-only lav. Very disappointing.

I looked at the Sennhauser G2, and the receiver is too big to lug around. I want to find something w/ a camera mount if possible. My other wireless is an ATW-R100x from Audio Technica. It works well, but is bigger than I'd like. Suggestions?

I'm seriously tempted to go with a wired unit because so many things can go wrong with wireless, and the receiver is such a pain to work with. Also if I did that I wouldn't need a Beechtek, and could plug my shotgun straight to the FX1.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:45 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury View Post
...I think I'll retire the Azden as an emergency-only lav. Very disappointing.

I looked at the Sennhauser G2, and the receiver is too big to lug around. I want to find something w/ a camera mount if possible. ...

I'm seriously tempted to go with a wired unit because so many things can go wrong with wireless, and the receiver is such a pain to work with. Also if I did that I wouldn't need a Beechtek, and could plug my shotgun straight to the FX1.
There are several different kits in the Senn G2 system series, some with a camera mount receiver and others with a rack/table-top receiver. Your comment about the receiver being too big makes me wonder if you were looking at the right one?

Going wired is certainly a good idea for best sound but it may not always be practical. I'd suggest assembling a kit that gives you both options. "When you're able, use a cable!"

As for not needing a Beach, that would only be true if you use mics that aren't XLR mics. To get most pro-quality mics into the FX1 you still need to convert from XLR and perhaps supply phantom.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:43 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
My Azden wireless lav has done a poor job at weddings. It's not cutting out, but it continually sounds like it's rubbing even when the officiant is standing still. I'm thinking that my problem is the lav itself, and thinking of upgrading to a $400 Countryman B6, per another post on this site.

I don't know if that's overkill or not. I just need a good lav for weddings, and the Countryman's boast is that it's the smallest lav in the world. I don't care much about that -- I just want to end the rub & wind noise for outdoor weddings in particular. I also don't know if I would be putting a gold ring in a pig's snout -- should I get a new wireless system also?
You can't really use a b6 outside without wind protection and that makes its small size irrelevant. Clothing rub is clothing rub. You are making a coil in the cable to stop the cable noise from running up the cable to the mic.

Regards,

Ty

Last edited by Douglas Spotted Eagle; April 22nd, 2007 at 11:46 AM. Reason: copy of non-community link
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 01:12 PM   #9
Major Player

That's a good point, Ty.

Steve, Whatever mic I use I would need to convert to 1/8", whether it started as an XLR or not, so the two reasons for the Beechtek is phantom power and the extra port. If I plug my Rode shotgun straight into the camera, I wouldn't need phantom power would I? And would I with my Audio Technica ATW-R100x? The both use batteries and go to different cameras.

Unless I need phantom power I think I'll get a Zoom H2 and forsake the need for the port. (I can't imagine that an 1/8th" plug would give me the quality of a wired Zoom.)

BTW, I do weddings, and have a trick for syncing...I got to the alter before the service in view of all three cams and slap my cell phone together. (Then I turn the blasted thing off!)
Old April 22nd, 2007, 04:27 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
...Steve, Whatever mic I use I would need to convert to 1/8", whether it started as an XLR or not, so the two reasons for the Beechtek is phantom power and the extra port. If I plug my Rode shotgun straight into the camera, I wouldn't need phantom power would I? And would I with my Audio Technica ATW-R100x? The both use batteries and go to different cameras.

It really depends on which Rode shotgun you have. The Videomic would plug directly in without needing any adapters but the NTG-1 needs phantom plus conversion from XLR to 1/8 while the NTG-2 will run on internal battery but still needs the XLR-1/8 conversion.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 09:52 PM   #11
Major Player

Wow, you know your stuff. I got the VideoMic, so it sounds like I'm set.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio