Wireless Frequencies for UK/USA at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 10th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #1
New Boot

Wireless Frequencies for UK/USA

I want to get a wireless kit to use in both the USA and UK. From what I can deduce most sets cover a limited frequency range and there does not seem to be any overlap between the frequencies sold in the US versus the UK. At least in the Sennheiser products.

Does anyone have any experience of a wireless microphone set that they were able to use successfully in the UK and the US?

Thanks, Darrill
Darrill Stoddart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #2
Trustee

Darrill,

There's so much talk about wireless frequency problems, I can understand why you're thinking you should be concerned - but the reality is that any wireless receiver/transmitter will fundamentally work ANYWHERE in the world. That's because the receiver and the transmitter will always be on the same frequency - whatever it is!

Regional/national/local problems only arise when there is SOMETHING ELSE using the part of the frequency spectrum that your wireless rig is trying to use.

Those things (other wireless mics, UHF televison transmitters, other sources of radio frequency energy, etc) vary place to place, but there's no certainty you'll run into ANY of them.

The chances that frequency X will be a problem anywhere on the planet is actually pretty small.

If you regularly attend news conferences where there are 30 wireless transmitter involved - you're chances of a frequency conflict go up.

If you travel to a country that uses YOUR wireless frequency, for example, for public safety radio traffic, again, your chances of a problem go up.

But it's also quite possible that in either case above, you'll be just fine and have no problems whatsoever.

(Maybe a local fire department frequency could potentially conflict with your system, but maybe there are no fire calls the day you shoot!)

If you're going to travel a lot - and if the nature of your work is such that you MUST get the job done - then it's wise to consider this stuff and carry a couple of systems on different frequencies - or check ahead of time to see what frequencies are in use and which are clear.

But just understand it's perfectly possible to go your whole career and NEVER run into a wireless frequency conflict!

So don't worry over much.

Good luck.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Bill.

I had a small suspicion that what you say could be true but no facts, experience or real knowledge. I appreciate your sharing.

Now back to selecting what wireless units to go with.

Cheers,
Darrill
Darrill Stoddart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio