Homemade 35mm Adapter - Page 49 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 7th, 2004, 04:34 AM   #721
Inner Circle

Spencer. Thanks for taking the time and trouble of grabbing the frames and posting them. Looks like you have the corner problems solved. If you find a 58mm mount 10x with wider glass I'd be interested to know the details. Regards.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 04:46 AM   #722
New Boot

UK users looking for 35mm Adapter parts...

In my search for finding UK suppliers of optical parts I came across this great company, http://www.knightoptical.co.uk

Although they don't sell holographic diffusers, they do sell Acrylic focus screens which appear to have favourable properties for this kind of project, an extract from their web page reads...

"These Plastic Screens have still greater diffusion than ground glass types, allowing an image to be back-projected on a large screen without `hot spot’

They also sell a large range of various prisms and optical mirrors, although I can't seem to find Roof PentaPrisms on their list...?
Simon Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 07:00 AM   #723
Regular Crew

Spencer... where did you find your Samigon +10 adapter... I just bought a century optics +7 which still can't zoom the black edges out of the frame (even with a widescreen cropped image.)

Also why do you use a frensel lens... what does this do for you?
Peter Sciretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 08:50 AM   #724
Regular Crew

The Samigon +10 was found at a local camera store called "Campus Camera" at Kent State in North Eastern, Ohio. Their phone number is (330) 678-1297 if you wish to get the same one. (I don't know how they deal with shipping of orders though) Devin, on the other hand, is trying to find if a +10 with a larger glass will reduce the distortion without having to bring his camera closer to the GG like I did. He ordered a +10 with full glass, no large black ring like mine has, on ebay a few days ago; they seem to be quite common for the 58mm thread.

People seem to be quite skeptical about the fresnel for some reason, I'm not quite sure who instated that, but I think it's a necessary step in the adapter. We've found that the distance that it is positioned away from the GG is not all that crucial, just go with what works. It helps to increase the overall brightness, or more evenness of brightness in the edges of the projection on the spinning CD, which allows you to have to zoom less in order to get passed vignetting.

And yes, it's a personal "credit card" magnifier that you can find just about anywhere, I got mine from Office Max for $1.99 or so.

Spencer Houck
Old January 7th, 2004, 01:25 PM   #725
Regular Crew

every test i do with the fresnel steps down a notch of light....
Peter Sciretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 05:04 PM   #726
Regular Crew

can someone link me to a +7 or +10 macro lense on ebay? i dont know wat to search for
Danny Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 08:16 PM   #727
New Boot

Danny,

On Ebay, try searching for "+10 macro filter" or...
Go to B & H Photo ( bhphotovideo.com ) and search for "NL10" for B+W +10 macro lenses of different diameters.
Search with NL1, NL2, and NL4 for +1, +2, and +4 power filters.

Isaiah
Isaiah Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:43 PM   #728
Regular Crew

hey thanks. if i get a +1 +2 +4 macro filter set, could i stack them together to make a +7? and how do i know how many mm to choose? i have a gl1
Danny Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 12:45 AM   #729
Inner Circle

Danny. Addition to note below. I did not remember you were using a GL1 and not a PD150 so comments below may be invalid.

Danny. If you look at some of the .jpg stuff I have posted here, most was shot with stack of 58mm Hoya lenses 1x + 2x + 4x. These are fairly commonly available through camera shops as a set of three in a little wallet.

For a larger than 35mm still camera frame you should be okay with a bit of darkening on the corners. For the smaller motion picture 35mm or 35mm widescreen gate you may not be able to zoom close enough to cleanly frame it.

In my posted images there are some rough and ready captioned images of test patterns for the Hoyas and a telescope eyepiece lens set. Image file "---- testpnew0+5.JPG ----" demonstrates with a testpattern, the Hoyas stacked through the AGUS35 with rotating groundglass in hostile lighting conditions layered under the image direct into the PD150.
Old January 8th, 2004, 01:15 AM   #730
Major Player

Bob you are getting too much vigneting, are you zooming in ? you could try to close up more the GG to the dv camera to solve this.
Old January 8th, 2004, 05:48 AM   #731
Inner Circle

Agus. Yes. The issue is when I zoom in closer, the focus collapses. Same goes for moving the cam closer. It seems the 10x lens as wide a diameter we can get inside the 58mm mount is what is needed for the PD150 version.

The telescope eyepiece frames a much smaller target and ceases to vignette when the image target is about 16mm diagonal across 4:3 frame corners. It will enable focus to hold on a widescreen frame 27mm across corners if the image plane is brought closer to the camera than my current adaptor allows (about 52mm from front of camera). This also does not have wide enough lenses but will zoom through to clearance about half the way through
Old January 8th, 2004, 07:17 AM   #732
Regular Crew

I am currently trying to find connectors that I can attach to my adapter which alow me to 'plug' in my 50mm lens, and at the other end 'plug' in my GL2. Any ideas please?
Stewart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 07:57 AM   #733
Regular Crew

Hey Spencer, you and I live very close to each other I'd imagine. I would be very, very interested in getting in contact with you about some things and ideas. It's suprising and refreshing all in one to find a local, AND knowledgable/good videographer around here.

I'll probably get an email out to you too, in case you see that first.
Kevin Maistros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 08:06 AM   #734
Regular Crew

Also, I havn't been able to read through all of this thread yet.. but has anyone completed an adapter for the XL-1s? Would anyone be willing to make one to sell?
Kevin Maistros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 09:39 AM   #735
New Boot

Hey everyone, I just got my +10 macro in, it should compleate my XL-1 adapter. I built it about 3 weeks ago base on a project box. I'm working on a system to attach it to the XL-1 then I'll post pics and footage.

Hey shout out to all the other Ohio guys I'm based out of Medina, let me know if a get together is planned.

Luke
Luke Andrews is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods