Homemade 35mm Adapter - Page 41 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 26th, 2003, 12:43 PM   #601
Regular Crew

im working already

I got my first Job with the COLONIA35MM

the adapter i just made myself.

go to the site www.bobflash.com.br

choose the city RECIFE-PE

on the site theres a session called BOBCAM, where i go to parties and film everything.

check out the two last clips from a xmas party. i made the two with the 35mm lens, 50mm, 1.4.

it is wonderful, altought i had some problems to focus, with the light of the place, etc. im still learning. and i was drunk too, etc...anyway, tell me what you think of it.

im just waiting your review.

thanks

ciao

all static is the way.!!!!!

ciao
Daniel Moloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2003, 12:58 PM   #602
Regular Crew

Ground Glass info

Daniel, do you know where I can get the type of ground glass you're using or what it's called?

The camera I'm using will be VERY hard to have a spinning CD. Thanks, Corey
Corey Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2003, 01:02 PM   #603
Regular Crew

gg

It is a gg from an old zenit photocam.

clean, without anything. i think the fresnel that comes attached to it its the best thing ever. makes the diference.

ciao
Old December 26th, 2003, 01:23 PM   #604
Regular Crew

Do you have any idea which model? If not, could you maybe post a photo of the camera so if someone were to find it online it would be easier to identify by sight? Thanks, Corey
Old December 26th, 2003, 01:26 PM   #605
Regular Crew

help everyone here

i will help everyone in here.

for sure.

on moday i will go to the same store and buy ALL gg from these cameras.

the guy from the store has a lot of them, they are old.

they are silver.

i will send a pic to everyone.

ciao
Old December 26th, 2003, 01:36 PM   #606
Regular Crew

Cool

Thanks for replying so quickly. I knew there had to be some sort of grainless type ground glass out there. I know the movietube thing coming out uses a non moving grainless ground glass from what they told me in an email. This will be so much better than having to use moving parts.

I have a question about it though. How is the brightness? I'm guessing it's probably better than using a CD. Corey
Old December 26th, 2003, 01:41 PM   #607
Regular Crew

brightness?

i think i loose 1 f stop by the way.

dont know excatly.

and if i close the 35mm lens exposure to 4f , it gets dark and i can see the ground grass a little. so im using the lens all opened to 1.4f and adjust the exposure in the TRV18, so i dont get any grain at all, even if i close all the exposure.

sometimes i just cant believe it...

i just have to grip the box so i dont vibrate when focusing

ciao
Old December 26th, 2003, 08:34 PM   #608
Inner Circle

Have experimented with a microscope slide using loose aluminium oxide grit 600 grade lapped on a sheet of glass. Glass is a much more controllable medium to work with than the CD disks which seem to get injured at the drop of a hat. The result across the glass is also totally consistent.

For those thinking of the fixed glass option and can't get the Zenit screens, the microscope slides are almost 16:9 frame. Used with a large or medium format camera lens and videoing the larger image across the whole slide, you could look forward to a good blemish-free result. I'm not sure how good the light from the lens will be as the image is spread over a larger area thus dimmer.

The frosting texture with 600 grade aluminium oxide might still be a bit course but the light transmission is heaps better than the plastic CD lapped with the 600 or pressed with 600 grade silicone carbide paper. With glass, the frosted surface is not injured by encounters with finger sweat or cleaning cloth.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2003, 06:07 AM   #609
Inner Circle

Have tried the new groundglass as a stationary screen. Method = Pringles chip can, slots for glass slide to fit through it. PD150 videocam, with close up lenses x4 + x2 + x1 stacked, looking in from one end, 55mm Nikon f3.8 lens in other. Lens is crudely secured in end by rolled up sock cuff, video camera secured in end by rolled up sock cuff (True, the socks did have no heels left - honest and were washed).

In bright daylight which would require f16-f22 with ASA 320, the Nikon lens wide open, there does not appear to be any difference in the quality of the image at centre from that of image into PD150 direct. Contrast and colours remain the same though blue seems perhaps a little truer. This effect is reminiscent of late seventies 16mm Agfa neg stock.

There seems to be a slight diffusion of highlights. White objects like a flying moth seem a bit fuzzy.

There is a bit of a hotspot over 80% of the image from centre with the corners seeming about two f-stops darker.

Granularity becomes apparent in these darker corners. If the Nikon lens is stopped down, the granularity becomes apparent across the screen. The dark corners might be because I can not zoom close enough to the screen before focus crashes in the last 10% of the zoom range and I am covering an area larger than the 35mm camera frame.

There is a greater depth of field effect but nothing I cannot replicate with a close-up lens on the DP150 direct. However with a close-up lens, one cannot pull focus to infinity, so there is the bonus to using the Agus35 principle.

The PD150 will tolerate being operated upside down and the viewfinder can be positioned to display correctly if the combination is used at waist height like an old-fashioned box Brownie or medium format camera with top window viewfinders. With the eyepiece jammed into the stomach, the whole thing can be held quite steady. (An ample gut helps).
Old December 27th, 2003, 08:39 PM   #610
Inner Circle

In low light levels, with the 600 grit fixed groundglass, I have shot a couple of comparative tests also one test in good light. I'll send these images to kennelmaster Chris to see if he can post them.

The groundglass test pattern seems softer yet on closer inspection, resolution seems to be the same across both test patterns in poor light. The groundglass image is about a half-stop darker, a slight lowering of contrast and there is a faint fawn coloured tint.

Camera gain was left on automatic for the low-light tests. It's probably not a valid test except it might be more representative of practical low-light conditions where you want every bit of gain you can get. Defects on the groundglass visible in strong light were not apparent in low light.

Some slightly darker streaks were apparent in some of the bright light images. These came from oils in the can lining from the crisps it once contained.

Dressing the groundglass surface with a hint of some sort of oil or wax might be an option for better contrast. The oily bits seem to contain light spill from adjacent areas.
Old December 27th, 2003, 10:43 PM   #611
Major Player

I read on the large format camera forum that one thing to do is smear vasoline on the ground side of the glass, then wipe clean with a soft, smooth cloth. The vasoline will fill in the holes and provide a "wet" look to the glass, and improve brightness. I haven't personally tested it, but it might be worth a try.
Old December 27th, 2003, 11:13 PM   #612
Regular Crew

Just read all 41 pages in a row:D

Looks great...
Has anyone made an adapter for the GL2/XM2? would love to see some footage made with the agus35 and the GL2, and even better, the GL2 in frame mode with the agus35:D.

Chris, you said a few weeks ago you were going to make a agus35 for your GL2, i was just wondering how its going?

Richard James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #613
Regular Crew

Richard, claps to you for doing your homework! Some people drop in on the last few pages and ask questions that have already been answered - like this thread needs to be any longer! I've been working on an adapter for my GL1 and have recently gotten my camera back from the canon repair shop. Come early next week (Tues/Weds) I should have some test footage up with the traditional design - 50mm lens > fresnel > spinning frosted cd > macro lens > camera. I'll be sure to post pics and other info....I've also been on the hunt for someone who's made an adapter for the GL1/2!
Old December 28th, 2003, 01:34 PM   #614
Major Player

GREAT NEWS!

I've discovered where to get pre-frosted CDR's like Agus uses -- Maxell's 48x/700mb 50 spindle has it!

I found this on sale at Tower Records today ($15.99), and since I just ripped the label in order to open the pack, here's an idea of what it looks like:

http://ideaspora.net/agus35/frosted.jpg

- jim
Old December 28th, 2003, 01:45 PM   #615
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Jim Lafferty : GREAT NEWS!

I've discovered where to get pre-frosted CDR's like Agus uses -- Maxell's 48x/700mb 50 spindle has it!

I found this on sale at Tower Records today ($15.99), and since I just ripped the label in order to open the pack, here's an idea of what it looks like:

http://ideaspora.net/agus35/frosted.jpg

- jim -->>>

Great news!...now Im gonna have 200+ CDR's laying around.... ;)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods