Microcrystalline Wax Techniques? - Page 24 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:42 PM   #346
Regular Crew

Condenser

Hey guys. I've been working on some other gear and still trying to get my garage/workshop clean out. I'm planning on ordering a few things from surplusshed.com I was thinking about trying to add a condensor lens or two to use with a micro wax gg. Does anyone have any clue what I should be looking for. Would I want a DCX lens or DCV or ?? I have no clue about that stuff. If anyone might know what focal length and what type of lens would work that would help a lot.
Keith Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 07:06 PM   #347
Major Player

Hey Keith,
I use two thin condensers which are flat on one side so you can put them right on the GG. Frank told me to do something like that, but you can also see the Movie Tube patent page showing the exact same setup (with wax too)
The thing is, the condensers captures the whole image (not only spread the light) only without the DOF. But this enables you to make the wax layer very very thin, so you get a sharp bright image.
Did you notice my step by step wax page? http://members.chello.nl/a.schultzev...g/wax/wax2.htm
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 08:00 PM   #348
Regular Crew

Okay i see what you mean do you know what those type of condensors are called? I know like DCV and DCX lenses are curved on both sides. Not sure what the type are that are flat on one face.

I've been following your updates on the wax. Glad to see you found some micro wax. I'm gonna give your steps a try this weekend. I got some glass left over from before, plus I have about 5-10 sets of circular glass lenses I cut a few weeks back and Might give those a try. I'm trying to figure out a way to adapt your technique to use with the circular glass.
Keith Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 10:04 PM   #349
Regular Crew

Flat on one side is called plano convex or PCX. I've tried a couple from Optosigma. I found if I put an 80mm focal length PCX between the lens and GG I got blurring of the image towards the edges. At the moment I've got GG PCX PCX camcorder like |)( It still has a little barrel distortion and chromatic aberration so I'm going to try 120mm focal length next (50mm diameter).

What diameter are your condensers Oscar? How thick are they? The 80mm focal length I have is about 13mm thick, longer focal length = thinner and less distortion, but possibly less hotspot correction.
Andy Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 11:34 PM   #350
Major Player

What do you use for the second piece of glass when using a filter? Do you take that glass from another filter?
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 04:58 AM   #351
Major Player

The lenses I use are not 'real' condensers I think, but maybe that's why they work so well. I took one from a super8 camera and the other one from a broken telephoto lens. They are both about 40mm in diameter and not more than 5mm thick.
Matthew, I used the glass of a smaller filter.
Old June 24th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #352
Major Player

Interesting discovery....

...a thin layer of vaseline makes a sharp focusing screen with no appreciable light loss. But wow...the hot spot sucks and so does the static image.
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #353
Major Player

Any pictures Matthew of what the vaseline looks like?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 05:23 PM   #354
Major Player

OK, but I would not use something that is too soft already. Also I wouldn't try to solve the light-loss issue with a different wax type, because the micro-wax at thinnest layer (in relation to the hotspot) gives just 1 stop light-loss.

One important thing I found out this week. I couldn't do anything because it's so terribly hot here this week (The Netherlands) that it's officially a heatwave.
Doing nothing didn't give me no results, in stead it proved that the wax (all of the test glasses too) holds perfectly in hot summer conditions. No melting, other deformations or whatever.
Old June 24th, 2005, 06:00 PM   #355
Major Player

That's good news - I know that I wondered if it would melt under the hot sun - no melting at all? No running or dripping?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 05:10 AM   #356
Major Player

No, the wax doesn't even get softer, so there is no issue on that part.
Old June 26th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #357
Major Player

It will get softer and melt if you leave it exposed to extreme conditions at length. The melting point of S&P's wax is 96 degrees -- under most conditions it will be OK, but put it inside a black box or metal tube, then sit that in your trunk on an outting on a hot day and you'll get into trouble.
Old July 11th, 2005, 07:53 AM   #358
Major Player

My microwax framegrabs and test footage are now located here:

http://70.147.193.182/mwtest

Download times on the larger files may be a bit slower, as we have switched from a T1 to DSL and the upstream is reduced.
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 10:37 PM   #359
Major Player

Quoting myself from another thread:

Quote:
I started working on a new microwax glass using the Oscar Spier method -- I'm leaving a 49mm filter untouched, placing a 43mm filter removed from its retainer ring ontop (with single layer tape spacers), and dunking the entire solution in melted wax. I'll have it finished tomorrow and let you know if/how it works.
Well, on the positive side, there are no bubbles or dust on this thing. The downside is the appearance of small anamolies, which plague this project for me :(

I'm thinking perhaps I need to place some weight ontop of the glass while it solidifies in order to even them out, but until then my results aren't worthwhile.

- jim

Last edited by Jim Lafferty; July 11th, 2005 at 11:14 PM.
Jim Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 08:09 AM   #360
Major Player

just a thought, may have been mentioned, but have you tried just letting the wax vapour condense on a glass plate?

hold a glass filter about 2inch above a tin of hot wax and let the condensed wax form a few molecules thick?

- move it about before its sets for even coverage.

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods