Microcrystalline Wax Techniques? - Page 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 18th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #331
Major Player

Dan, that's right. Funny thing is, we are perfecting the 'imperfection' /depth of field.
Accidentally, by hitting the camcorders lens or something, I've done like you say <manual focus A TOUCH soft on the screen> Maybe just a bit too much, but it certainly got rid of every pattern.
http://s01.picshome.com/4ae/4.jpg It gives a 70's look.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #332
Major Player

yeah..a bit too much, but better than "video look"
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #333
New Boot

If anyone is looking for microwax sources I found out that it is used for Batik fabric dyeing so craft shops that sell supplies for that should stock it.
Batik is an Indonesian craft so this might be most applicable to people in SE Asia/ Australasia.
NZ stockist is Boise: http://www.boise.co.nz/office_suppli...M_-2817861.htm
Mark Easton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2005, 08:20 PM   #334
Major Player

What I wonder about is how the Movie Tube, and similar products, have such allegedly perfect focusing screens. Apparently the Movie Tube actually uses beeswax. I suppose a possibility is to melt wax and use an airbrush to apply a thin and even layer of it, then bake it, but that seems kinda tricky.

There are things like this: http://www.llumar.com/PDF/English/de...ec%20sheet.pdf that look interesting, but I doubt they work well. Hmm...oh well.
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #335
Major Player

Some of the foils you post are usable, but only on a moving GG.
Beeswax isn't good enough and so isn't Paraffine. I can spare you weeks of testing, I used both of them. Matthew, when I started this I read this thread several times to see what progress people made and were it got them so far. In short it's like this:
Frank Ladner tested different wax types and came to the conclusion that Microcrystalline was far best. Jim Lafferty started this thread and did lots of tests and came a long way with the microwax.
Keith Kline begun with the same technique as Frank and Jim and stranded with some problems I initially thought to solve with a technique which didn't work well enough on thin layers.
After about a month I came up with the technique that works 100% every time and I made a 'tutorial' http://members.chello.nl/a.schultzev...g/wax/wax2.htm
I also came to the conclusion that Microcrystalline was far out best. 'No' grain and such a thin layer combined with two small condensers give just 1 to 2 stops of light loss.

I read the Movie Tube site closely, it says: Intermediate image> a special developed microcrystalline grain screen.
Sounds nice, but I regard microcrystalline grain as microcrystalline wax.

Last edited by Oscar Spierenburg; June 21st, 2005 at 05:41 AM.
Old June 20th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #336
Major Player

Your site seems to be 404.
Kyle Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 05:43 AM   #337
Major Player

Thanks Kyle, it's the bandwidth limit. I put everything up here:
http://members.chello.nl/a.schultzev...g/wax/wax2.htm
Old June 21st, 2005, 11:57 AM   #338
Major Player

Oscar,

Are you just wiping the wax off the outside or must it be scraped off?
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 01:08 PM   #339
Major Player

Bill, you know you got me interested in this static thing in the first place, with your post on the G35....remember Jonath...hmm..Bill. Now I don't know if they use wax, but they certainly proved to have high quality without a moving GG. Thanks.
-
OK,
I scrap the wax off with a knife and a flat screwdriver and really pay attention that I don't scratch the glass. I leave the edge with wax. Than I clean it with refined petrol (not white spirit) and then with methylated spirit (if this is the right term - the blue alcoholic stuff)
Old June 21st, 2005, 11:00 PM   #340
Major Player

I'd suggest a razor over a screwdriver -- it's what they use to remove decals from windshields without scratching the glass. An isopropyl alcohol paired with some disposable optical wipes will get the residual bits off.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 12:59 AM   #341
Regular Crew

Why not just tape up the glass and leave a tab sticking out of the wax, then peel it off after it cools?
Andy Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 06:43 AM   #342
Major Player

Same thing -- you've got to clean off the tape residue, instead of wax. Might be a little easier to clean, but could present other problems during the wax procedure.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:48 AM   #343
Major Player

It sounds like it's a hell of a job to clean the glass, but it's not. A razor is fine unless it's too big to leave the wax on the side of the glass. I wouldn't use tape, because of what Jim says, it will produce bubbles in the wax and possibly make it useless if you want to use the wax again.

I'm about to make a higher resolution(1080 x 720) system (again) using two camcorders (filming the left and right part of the GG separately). I tested it by zooming in 2x on the wax glass: No Grain.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 03:35 PM   #344
Major Player

Let us see as soon as you can Oscar - it will be interesting to see the sideXside of the old GG and the new GG on the awesome double cam.
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:57 PM   #345
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Spier
Bill, you know you got me interested in this static thing in the first place, with your post on the G35....remember Jonath...hmm..Bill. Now I don't know if they use wax, but they certainly proved to have high quality without a moving GG. Thanks.
LOL
I assure you I am not him! But it is cool I got you interested in static adapters. And you're welcome; seeing your DIY page is really neat so thank you in turn. But I do think you should pay attention to the sticker on the cigar tin.

One problem though: we don't have petrol in the United States.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods