New moving ground glass mechanism - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 18th, 2005, 08:25 PM   #256
Major Player

Thank you for the time you took to download it (must have been a pain) Glad you like it. More 2 come (in HD where available, hehehe..;-)<
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 12:06 AM   #257
Major Player

Dan, care to offer any theories on why the apparent resolution is not reduced because of the condenser lens moving sideways?
You do agree that moving a condenser lens sideways moves the image it creates, correct? Theoretically blurring the image.
If we just don't know , and it works, so be it! But it's interesting to analyze in an armchair way!

-Les

<<<-- Originally posted by Dan Diaconu : >>>Optically isn't the focusing screen like a condenser lens that is flat with a diffuser surface on one side?<<<
Yes, that what it is.
-->>>
Les Dit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:20 AM   #258
Regular Crew

Dan. You know i love your system.

It goes without saying ;)
Frank Vrionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #259
Major Player

Thank you Frankie. Me too, but wait and read.
(Les, I can not hold the whole class while you run from school after the first lessons to package the new "toy" and make it avail for less than $500. It would not be fair to them). The on-line manual is still there if you would only bother to learn:
http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/albums/album07/brightness_test_of_four_screens.wmv
(hmmm.....I must have heard that line before...)

New chapter (as if is not enough already!):

Scenario 1:
A person stands (fashion show? or whatever)
Wide angle lens, distance to actor 2-3ft. Lens (camera) is squared to his face, however we can also see the feet in the shot, all sharp (similar to door lens view)
Camera changes perspective (crane down) from his face to his belt and stops. In the frame, his head (top of the frame) and his feet(bottom) all sharp. All of a sudden, it all goes SOFT except his belt. Then:

a) He walks away/towards camera. Focus follows him (well, the belt) Nothing else is sharp
b) While static, focus rolls from belt to head, shoes and back to belt, while camera is leveled to his belt and does not pan nor tilt.

Scenario2:
Dog walks on the sidewalk. Camera is squared to dog, dolly-ing from the street.
Wide angle lens all sharp. Same thing happens:
a) Dog's head remains sharp, all the rest goes soft.
b) Dog stays sharp (head to tail) all the rest goes soft.

Wouldn't that be swell?...Horizontal or vertical roll of focus on the same plane... open a whole new field of possibilities? How many would use such “thing”? Well… if the feature is there and all you have to do is turn some knobs (or push some buttons), I bet ALL will turn them and explore. One’s imagination is his own limit.
Hint. Something like this :
http://www.uscoles.com/phoot/pcstrtl.jpg
would not do. Medium and large format photography are the only ones (I know of) that mess with the focal plane. Nothing (that I know of) in video/MP for obvious reasons.
It has been bugging me for the last two days, so I had to get it out.
You must have figured it out by now….
Old March 19th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #260
Major Player

Dan,
I don't think you really know the answer to the question I'm asking. That's OK. As for the $500 toy, the only unknown part of manufacturing such a device is how to make the groundglass move without undesired motions in the wrong axis. I've already shown I can do that successfully.I'm just posing a question to those who are interested in the science behind why something works or doesn't work , optically. It makes no difference in manufacturing this device or not. It's not holding me up in any way. Building a new film scanner for my business is occupying most of my time these days. Your video only shows that the focusing screens include a built-in lens. fabulous.

-Les

<<<-- Originally posted by Dan Diaconu : Thank you Frankie. Me too, but wait and read.
(Les, I can not hold the whole class while you run from school after the first lessons to package the new "toy" and make it avail for less than $500. It would not be fair to them). The on-line manual is still there if you would only bother to learn:
http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/albums/album07/brightness_test_of_four_screens.wmv
(hmmm.....I must have heard that line before...)
-->>>
Les Dit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 03:56 PM   #261
Major Player

Les,
With all due respect, I would rather email you instead of posting here all that. Let's talk. I do not have your email, but mine is there on the website. Email me.
There is no reference to your work other than a clip a while ago. Not enough to convince me.
>>>Dan,
I don't think you really know the answer to the question I'm asking<<<<
Nope. (I would prefer to refrain from being caustic again)
I have a lot to learn and I have since reading on this forums(not only technically but also to control my reactions and to refrain from posting under impulse!)
But in this very narrow field on which I have spent 9 (nine) months full time, I think I have a slight time advantage.
I did not withhold my findings, I made them public on my site free for all interested. End result? I can see it now.... (wrong move)
Oh well.... derz only one way to learn........
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:54 PM   #262
Regular Crew

"A person stands (fashion show? or whatever)
Wide angle lens, distance to actor 2-3ft. Lens (camera) is squared to his face, however we can also see the feet in the shot, all sharp (similar to door lens view)
Camera changes perspective (crane down) from his face to his belt and stops. In the frame, his head (top of the frame) and his feet(bottom) all sharp. All of a sudden, it all goes SOFT except his belt. "

Wow. In a way that imitates the way we perceive/view the world. We see a picture and then decide to see the one thing we really want within that picture. In cinema we usually use a tighter shot to simulate that.

However with this system it's subtler in a way, thus a director can guide the audience to the right 'thing' within the frame. I think that's great and I’ve been thinking about it for some time.

Jane Campion (The Piano) made a movie called 'In The Cut'
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0199626/
In this movie she obviously used a compositor to blur out sections of the screen so that the audience could focus on what she thought was important.

We now have the 'why'. Have we got the 'do'??

Can you do this Dan?
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:57 PM   #263
Major Player

You nailed it right on the head Frank.
Focus (aside from brightness) is where the attention/eyes go/es in every scene. The viewer seeks: bright, sharp and then composition (knowing or no)

>>>>In cinema we usually use a tighter shot to simulate that<<< via the long and beaten path of sooo desired narrow DOF of long lenses.

However, this time we are dealing with a "new animal" (mystic if you wish) that will DELIVER narrow DOF on WIDE lens (as well as other lenses). On top of that (as if is not enough already) will selectively show sharp only a vertical (or horizontal) strip of the frame, with all elements in the frame at the same distance from the camera. TA-DAAA.....

Let's first expand the first two "clichés":
This time we have a girl laying on a bed nude face up (nop, not an XXX movie, but a commercial to a skin lotion)
Camera on a dolly (wide format) tracks from knees(camera right) to head (camera left(left part of the frame))
HOWEVER: focus stays on the belly button/hand applying the lotion, tracking with the camera (in sink) from the very left side of the frame (where the hand enters frame and is the only thing sharp) and rolls in the frame from L to R till the end of the shot (when the head is camera left and BB/hand applying the lotion is SHARP camera right)
You have been shown "everything" but you only saw what you were supposed to see (although ALL was there all the time...) Perhaps not the best example of the overwhelming possibilities, but anyway a hint.

Yes, I can do it. How long to have it? dono. How much? dono. Worth it? you tell me.
I have some other cute ideas that would go with it and complement this works, but I have to chew them first (and if I don't chock, I'll make them public (as usual) Other comments? Interesting enough? Or back to... "drawing board"?
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:11 PM   #264
Major Player

I'm not sure what you are talking about Dan. Can you elaborate? What type of device and what would it do? It's, of course, very hard to get shallow DOF with a wide lens so I'm not sure I'm following...
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:16 PM   #265
Major Player

For all's sake read this page again. Start from the fourth post down.
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:25 PM   #266
Major Player

Ok read through it again and I think I understand now.

You wouldn't be able to do the belt shot with this sort of setup though a tilt lens will certainly affect the areas in focus but to have area both above and below a certain point, all of which are in the same plane be out of focus while retaining focus in the center is not possible (not with a lens that is at least). This seems to be something more suited to post production IMO.
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:36 PM   #267
Major Player

I give up
Old March 19th, 2005, 09:13 PM   #268
Regular Crew

damn
Old March 19th, 2005, 09:25 PM   #269
Major Player

What do you mean Dan?

Sorry guys, I'm not trying to be annoying or anything :(
Old March 19th, 2005, 10:11 PM   #270
Major Player

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Something like this :
http://www.uscoles.com/phoot/pcstrtl.jpg
would NOT do.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods