New moving ground glass mechanism - Page 30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 10th, 2005, 07:57 AM   #436
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Wagner
I look through this thread and didnt see this question asked, but if you covered it before just direct me to that post.
read this - hope it will help to you

Ive tryied 3mm, forget it. But 1.5mm worked. Think... What is moving ? Just not focused things... right ? Focused stays stable... Now... What happens if you oscilate it with high speed, higher than camera can shoot ? Unfocused parts of image are yet more blured... right ? So you will get deeper DOF... try it :)

At the beginning there was an idea, then the ambition came and the idea became to be a dream... The Satisfied Dream => http://film.datriware.com

Last edited by Daves Spi; June 10th, 2005 at 08:15 AM.
Daves Spi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:15 PM   #437
Major Player

Dan,

I am not as heavily entrenched in this stuff as some people so pardon my ignorance, but, howcome this isn't an infringement on mini35's patent?

Congrats, can't wait to see a short film from ya.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:08 PM   #438
Major Player

Bill,
this forum may not be the right place to discuss at length this issues as I am not even qualified to talk on the subject. So here is my 2c: to infringe on a patent one must sell a device that:
1) resembles a patented device
and does that in
2) a country for which a patent was obtained.

As for the movie, it will have quite a few "head scratching" shoots as now, my creativity has an aim and I got inspired to solve even more problems related to space and light constraints (Dogma 95 in Oct up here in Vancouver! Lucky me to use a Fresnel I guess)
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 09:53 AM   #439
Major Player

Shameless self promotion (what's new?)

A rental house is in business to generate said revenue. The change from Mini35 to MPIC was nothing but an economic decision. Nobody’s endorsement was needed or requested:
http://provisionvideo.com/features.htm
Old June 26th, 2005, 11:23 AM   #440
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diaconu
A rental house is in business to generate said revenue. The change from Mini35 to MPIC was nothing but an economic decision. Nobody’s endorsement was needed or requested:
http://provisionvideo.com/features.htm
That's great Dan! How did your revile at provision go?

Jonathan-
Jonathan Houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #441
Major Player

Thank you Jonathan,
Two Z1's side by side, one with MPIC, one without; lens changes vs. zoom-in, sharpness, light loss, etc(all issues beaten up here over the last six months). Other than first hand image, DVD footage and the device itself, nothing new. (size and weight was a shock) Only 17 people (short notice) showed up but for me was more than enough. It was refreshing and obliging to see excitement first hand. Provision must have had good FB to do ze change...We'll do it again. Stop on by for a "cup of coffee" (hehehe...)
Old July 3rd, 2005, 11:08 AM   #442
Major Player

Xl2

One reason to open a bottle of beer:
http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/album22
Not exactly what I wanted or hoping for... but is out of the way (for a while)...
Old July 3rd, 2005, 01:08 PM   #443
Regular Crew

So Dan could you be so kind as to give us a price breakdown of your device.

MPIC alone
MPIC and follow Focus
MPIC and lenses etc.
Greg Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 01:38 PM   #444
Major Player

i'm curious also, but please, be so kind and tell us the rental price also.

thanks,

filip
Old July 3rd, 2005, 01:53 PM   #445
Major Player

"Sunday morning having fun
with "MP" on XL1":
http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/album26
(actually it is XL2 but it just didn't hold water that way.... hehehe)
hmmmmm:
"THIS FUN is for me AND YOU!
If you have an XL2!" ....
that's bettaaaaa now. All settled. Although not a fan of XL, the image is one of the best I have seen (with MPIC). I am not happy I do not have the time to "dig" into replacing the stock 20X lens, but .... I have too much on my plate for now and I am on a "diet" anyway... hehehe....
Greg,
the price for MPIC is US$ 8,000. It comes with a complementary MPFF (yeahh right! the mighty pico follow focus!) Please hold comments till you see what it does and how it does it, INCLUDED! I forgot to mention, MPIC is solar power recharged (as you shoot, or you plan the shots, outdoors). (it does not need more than one sunny hour per month to fully charge the batteries). In other words, some 10 years you should be worry free.... (one most annoying thing-having to charge/replace batteries-is out of the way) It still has the plug (just in case you are shooting in a "cave of wonders" for more than a month. As for lenses, I would rather let you find them/buy them and just do the service of cleaning, greasing and gearing for about 450 each (if gear is all you want without the mechanical overhaul, the price would be a lot less depending on the lens you have/buy)
I will have more news soon.
Old July 3rd, 2005, 02:01 PM   #446
Regular Crew

Damn. Too rich for my blood, but it looks awesome! I won't naysay and tell you I think its overpriced...I can see from your site that you put some serious blood sweat and tears into it.
Greg Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 02:04 PM   #447
Major Player

Filip,
I was one step from flying to Lithuania/Finland (rental). Lucky you, their budget did not accommodate 5 weeks of MPIC and lenses and I am still here typing messages.
Rental overseas is not uncommon, but there is a lot of "insurance, shipping, and all that which adds up and actually it make more sense for one to buy it and rent it locally afterwards. Price for now is $450/day (all lenses included) and most likely the MPFF will not be a deal breaker, hehehe...
Old July 3rd, 2005, 02:40 PM   #448
Major Player

dan,
does your adapter rotate the image 180 degrees? or do you still have to flip it in post?
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 04:45 PM   #449
Major Player

As is now, it does not. Flip is a post job. It used to do the flip... last summer, but is getting older (and..?wiser?)... hehehe...(;-)<
Old July 4th, 2005, 05:01 AM   #450
Major Player

Hey Dan,

Between Beattie vs ground glass, did you notice a difference in the amount of vignetting, or to put it another way, a difference in how big the usable area was?
Bill Porter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods