Finally we did it... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:25 AM   #31
Major Player

Were did you put the condenser, because I don't have color aberration with probably the same one.
I put the condenser between the adapter lens (your Takumar) and the GG (close to the GG)
I really don't have any visible side effects that way captured on a +/- 1080 x 720 image.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 06:10 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Spier
Were did you put the condenser, because I don't have color aberration with probably the same one.
I put the condenser between the adapter lens (your Takumar) and the GG (close to the GG)
I really don't have any visible side effects that way captured on a +/- 1080 x 720 image.
If you take a look at my previous photos with this condenser, you will find just some small abberation... In this tests I did everything in hurry, because I have to change system for 10 test shots, which means 20 times everything decompose and compose again. Condenser was placed in some position fixed by adhesive tape :( Not optimal, but enough to me...
but
I have primary lens -> focusing screen -> condenser -> DV camera... Because Nikon focusing screen has already one condenser built in. Looks like this (|, one side is GG. So I'm using next one between GG and DV. And I get zero vignetting on full 36mm. Better than with beattie :/

Anyway... Nikon GG with condenser is not the way I will follow... not this time...

At the beginning there was an idea, then the ambition came and the idea became to be a dream... The Satisfied Dream => http://film.datriware.com

Last edited by Daves Spi; May 23rd, 2005 at 09:13 AM.
Daves Spi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:35 AM   #33
Major Player

I agree that even a $10 screen (when you find it for this price) can produce a good result. As for the difference, keep experimenting.(and stop using that condenser or whatever you use now. You do not need it!)

Now: how do you see using a GG (of any kind) vs a focusing screen?
What is the diff? is it any brighter?
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:09 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diaconu
Now: how do you see using a GG (of any kind) vs a focusing screen?
What is the diff? is it any brighter?
Damn, you know it is !!! lol , With beattie you can make shoots even in night :) Ok, not really but it has very bright image, with other focusing screens you are out of job.

I just wanted to show resolution test of Nikon Focusing screen vs Maxwell beattie, because people are thinking the beattie has low resolution. So, maybe it has, but its the same as Nikon focusing screen (without any fresnel) - as far as I have tested.

So, we are going to use maxwell (which we are already using for past month - although standard focusing screens are not bad). I wanted to show, that not just the beattie or maxwell is the only one way, but even with standard focusing screen you can take full 36x24 without vignetting... And maybe if I've been knew this before I bought maxwell, maybe I stayed with it... Who knows...

Passed...

As we tested, moving maxwell is much better then static. The only problem is, you have to find some mechanism to oscilate it. This is problem, which lots of people can not solve by themselves at home, I guess. With 0.5mm oscilating movement you have to be very precise. And... we did not find the way to build it home, yet. We have two types of oscilating mechanism right now. One is based on three shafts, second is based on sliders from caddy CD drive. In our minds we have third type, which is based on rotating ring inside of three rollers. But... What we do, is just wasting our time and money, while moving very slowly ahead. We know its the hard way we have to pass, but hope for someones kick :)

At the beginning there was an idea, then the ambition came and the idea became to be a dream... The Satisfied Dream => http://film.datriware.com
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:31 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves Spi
With beattie you can make shoots even in night :) Ok, not really but it has very bright image,
Not really? Let me doubt it...
http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/album05/IMGA0159
http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/album05/IMGA0164
Quote:
As we tested, moving maxwell is much better then static. The only problem is, you have to find some mechanism to oscilate it
Oh yeah... THAT! seems to be the "key" to a bright image...
Quote:
But... What we do, is just wasting our time and money, while moving very slowly ahead, but hope for someones kick
Kick:
http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/albums/album06/kick.wmv
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:47 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Dan, not tested yet, do not matter to me now, but wow... I tried a lot (shots at 8pm with the rain) but I did not risk the night shot... Must test it... (lol)

Quote:
Thank you so much... Good kick for us. We have to think about it. You are the god, as my friend said. Thank you again for the video... but... I do not like video in video anymore (rotf)... very nice

Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:08 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
You are the god
Do not say that! Seriously! Do not say "perfect" either. Look what hapened to Titanic! "Un-sinckable... perfect, a marvel of ...(human stupid pride)" and all that...... Good motivation (motivator), is OK.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:17 PM   #38
Major Player

Dan,

With the focusing screen, I am severly impressed with the low light capabilities! It is amazing the stuff you are pulling out. What is the size of the screen that most people use - and how much of it is the camera actually seeing?

Also, cheap focusing screens under $10?!?!? I would have never thunk it - got a source?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:52 PM   #39
Major Player

Leo, it has been there for 6 months (so far) and so is the rest of the stuff. All you have to do is look and think! That's all. I do not have a "source" at that price. Goggle!
Old May 24th, 2005, 01:31 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Quote:
Good motivation (motivator), is OK.
yeah... you are ! We never thought about plastic gears... ;-)

Old May 24th, 2005, 04:35 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Oscar, Dan : This condenser Im using together with Nikon FS : http://test.datriware.com/con.jpg, Maxwell Im using as is (primary lens, maxwell, DVcamera). Once again - Maxwell is the way I will go...

Old May 24th, 2005, 06:03 AM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Maxwell is the way I will go...
Amin......
(and "loose" that "rock" .... so you can run even faster........)
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:40 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Dan, et al,

(stop me if this question is off topic or a distraction here)

What's your opinion of the static design, or should I say, specifically the image quality of the G35 stuff? I actually met with the G35 designer/owner the other day and the images I saw live through a DVX100 "appeared" to be VERY impressive, and matched what he's posted so far. Just wondering, thanks.

~Shawn
Shawn Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #44
Major Player

No, is not off topic.
I have a few tests (pics in hi rz) on my site about ststic and in motion GG, brightness comparison and so on. I honestly did not need them and I did not post them there for me. Right? I also made some sugestions for those who want to achieve the best static (see recent wax developments/results thread)
I saw all the pics/clips posted on G35 and micro 35. (I have quite a few myself)
I do however, what I think is best (IMHO) for a film print out.
BTW. My "route" choosing the moving Fresnel was not an accident or one of many options. It was the only logical option (IMO). That other solutions work well, that is true, but there are some limitations (one way or another) that one must be aware of and live with. Well.... I do not like limitations....
What more can I add?
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Thanks Dan,

What explicitly do you feel are the limitations or tradeoffs with the static design? (or, please point me to the post where perhaps you already articulated this).

As I don't know specifically what design/technology/approach is inside the G35, I'd like to be able to measure or quantify the static design concerns you speak of to see if they apply here. I'm making an assumption that with the limitations you're referring to, you feel they are inherent and applicable to all static designs?

Thanks!
Shawn Murphy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods