Review of Quyen Le's Letus35 - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 22nd, 2005, 09:06 AM   #151
Trustee

So Obin, are you going to tell us what macro the Micro35 uses?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 10:33 AM   #152
Major Player

Yes, that would be cool to find out what macro is in use!
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:00 PM   #153
Trustee

they will not tell me, but it's not half bad at all, coudl it be better? IMHO yes it could, but it works well
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:31 PM   #154
Regular Crew

All the best

Ah, isn't it nice to see a product grow up? I really think it will get there quite soon. I can only hope the father of this product keeps up the healthy attitude of maturing it as good as possible.
Perhaps with better opticals, a sturdier motor (perhaps with a single 9v battery?), etc. it will be a bit more expensive to produce, but I'm sure most people wouldn't mind paying for that. After all, it wouldn't make sense buying the best (and certainly not the cheapest) primes, just to loose optical quality in the adapter.

As for the macro, could it be that every camera prefers it's own combination? The difficulty for Quyen must be to figure out which one fits all best. I could be wrong. But I'm sure he collects the data from the testers and uses it for the best.

I wish I could post some footage. But until then, I'll shut up.
Kurt August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:39 PM   #155
New Boot

Noise?

Obin,

I have been following your' posts in various forums around the web for a while. You are a great shooter and an informative guy. Thanks for all the good info!

Since you added the extra batteries to make the glass move faster, has the rig gotten noisier? (audio-wise)

Also, if I bought this unit how easy would it be to replace the achromat and the GG?

How does the grain on the Letus35 compare to the grain on the M2?

M2 has same flare problems as the 300 series mini35's?

Is there any chance, in your' opinion, of attaching any of these adapters to the adapter part (w/out converter) of the mini35 for XL1 or JVC. Any other way of accomplishing the same goal of eliminating the weakest lens element?

Also, have you seen anything from the Pico35?

Cine-One?

G35?

Thanks for all the pioneering.

-Aaron
Aaron McMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 05:42 PM   #156
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron McMath
Also, if I bought this unit how easy would it be to replace the achromat and the GG?
Problem with that concept is that, if you have to replace the lens and the GG, you are basically paying 300 bucks for an aluminium empty shell, since the motor seems to be cheap ($3 as suggested by Obin).
Old September 24th, 2005, 08:08 AM   #157
Trustee

test test test

Obin,

I have been following your' posts in various forums around the web for a while. You are a great shooter and an informative guy. Thanks for all the good info!

Thanks for the good vibe!

Since you added the extra batteries to make the glass move faster, has the rig gotten noisier? (audio-wise)

audio level is the same, it's not bad at all, high end shotgun mics don't pick it up at all on shoots

GG is great, I don't see a way to make it better
achromat is easy to replace, really you can take the whole thing apart in about 10min or less..

How does the grain on the Letus35 compare to the grain on the M2?
M2 is much finer with the issue of having the double image, non m2 on the micro35 is the same as the Letus

M2 has same flare problems as the 300 series mini35's?

as far as I can tell you will get the issues with ANY rotating GG system, vibrating seems to be MUCH better with artifacts of many types, jsut make sure the GG vibrates fast enough!

Is there any chance, in your' opinion, of attaching any of these adapters to the adapter part (w/out converter) of the mini35 for XL1 or JVC. Any other way of accomplishing the same goal of eliminating the weakest lens element?not sure, you would need a relay lens system to use Letus on Xl2 etc type camera, it would be MUCH better with a relay but as you know the dvx has a built in lens.

Also, have you seen anything from the Pico35?
never heard of a pico35

Cine-One?
never used it

G35?
I talk with him, but he has never sent me a demo unit for HD testing

Thanks for all the pioneering.

-Aaron
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 08:21 AM   #158
Major Player

Obin,

In one of your post, you said you have asked about the achromat and people refused to answer, is that the new achromat or the one you used in the unit? Can you take measurement of the achromat you are using? I believe it's rectangular but what is the size? Thanks.

Quyen
Old September 24th, 2005, 10:01 AM   #159
Major Player

It would be nice to have a chart that lists the best and worst achromats. These aren't really the heart of the units people are selling, so it would just give others a choice if they want to upgrade on the one they are using. Also they seems to be interchangeable, which is a good thing.
Old September 24th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #160
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Porter
Eric, I read the entire thread again and I think you are misunderstanding Jonathan, or I am misunderstanding you, LOL

I got the impression you meant that the G35 would allow you to omit the original XL-2 lens and mount the G35 directly to the camcorder without a lens on the camcorder. If this is what you meant then I think you are mistaken.

Sorry if that's how it came across but, yes, that is not what I'm saying (at least about the not needing a lens part) It seems to me that the staging is as follows:

1)Camera body
3)35mm Adapter (with proprietary mount)
4)Still lens

Which would be nice as this would eliminate the "Pinocchio" effect from stacking lens, devices, on top of the XL series's already very long 20x lens.
Maybe I am reading it wrong but since Johnathan makes mention of both a "threaded" mount and a "bayonet" mount, this leads me to believe
that this is indeed what will appear in the production units.
If you read something else into it please straighten me out.
Just don't crush my spirits as I really want a bayonet mounted adapter! Ha Ha!
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #161
Trustee

Hey Quyen, are you going to offer an updated version with faster motor and a better achromat to correct the weak points and make it work properly?
Old September 24th, 2005, 10:35 AM   #162
Major Player

Yes, it's on the way, thanks for asking.

Quyen
Old September 24th, 2005, 11:26 AM   #163
Trustee

Good to know. You should give it a different name like maybe letus35B or something. So people will know they are buying a second generation and improved product.
Old September 24th, 2005, 01:30 PM   #164
Major Player

Got my 1.8 FD S.C. Canon lens today (not the 1.4 I wanted, but I will have to wait). Just patiently waiting on the Letus35 to test it out!
Old September 24th, 2005, 04:28 PM   #165
Major Player

Yes, it has the new name and it's Letus35A like somebody has suggested, thanks.

Quyen

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods