Review of Quyen Le's Letus35 - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 19th, 2005, 05:12 PM   #106
Trustee

I forgot, it had 6db of gain, that mames HD really grainy..I think outside footage will be really nice as you have so much light to work with

I can also tell you that the micro35 Achromat is MUCH MUCH better quality then the standard one that ships with this unit, I could not shoot HD with the standard Achromat.
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 05:22 PM   #107
Trustee

Somehow all the footage I have seen from the Letus35 has been the most soft of all adapters. I have a real issue with sharpness. In my opinion, the sharpest of all these home built adapters, was the one made by the guy who converted the FX-1 to exchangeable lens. I think he was an Italian guy. The clips he posted were INCREDIBLY sharp. Neither the Micro35 or the G35 and certainly not the Letus35 produce nicer or sharper images. But I don't think he's selling them. I wonder what he got right.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 06:27 PM   #108
Trustee

I can tell you why it was sharp, he removed the stock lens!! that is the ticket, and what I will do soon on our dvx.

It's a SOFT lens, trust me.
Old September 19th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #109
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obin Olson
I can tell you why it was sharp, he removed the stock lens!! that is the ticket, and what I will do soon on our dvx.

Yeah, he had some other lens in there. What was it?
Do you think that lens was better quality and made the difference? The thing is he shot with a FX-1, which is HD, and his adapter held up great. You said the Letus35 doesn't. So the FX-1 guy did something different. Was really just the removal of the stock lens making the whole difference? If so, one could get similar results with a XL2 or HD100, which are exchangeable lenses.
I wonder how he got that lens to work with the whole system. It wasn't a zoom. I wonder what focal length etc.

Quote:
It's a SOFT lens, trust me.
You lost me here.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 08:41 PM   #110
Major Player

Michael,

Obin means the original lens on the DVX is soft. Hope this helps.

Quyen
Old September 19th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #111
Trustee

can you shoot me a link to the guy that has the lens off the Fx cam? I want to talk with him about his relay setup for that system
Old September 19th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #112
Major Player

[QUOTE=Michael Maier]Somehow all the footage I have seen from the Letus35 has been the most soft of all adapters. I have a real issue with sharpness. In my opinion, the sharpest of all these home built adapters, was the one made by the guy who converted the FX-1 to exchangeable lens. I think he was an Italian guy. The clips he posted were INCREDIBLY sharp. Neither the Micro35 or the G35 and certainly not the Letus35 produce nicer or sharper images.

The production G35's will be shipping with a bayonet mount for those cameras without a fixed lens, (XL2, HD100..) and threaded (obviously) for those cameras with a fixed lens.
As an XL2 owner I'm hoping this will help increase sharpness as I don't have to worry about "stacking' glass.
the Letus35 does produce great depth of field but does run short in the area of sharpness. No matter how much I try I am unable to produce a sharp picture with my camera and lenses.
But, this is a first run production. Perhaps Quyen will go to a different achromat eventually?
In the meantime I am patiently awaiting the G35.
But, yes, that FX-1 footage was indeed sharp! HD seems to love these adapters.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 12:08 AM   #113
Major Player

Obin, did you see Sean Porter's problem that cropped up when he replaced the stock DVX lens on his camera? What do you think the problem was with Sean's design?
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=39420

He never posted a response so I'm wondering whether he resolved the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Brown
The production G35's will be shipping with a bayonet mount for those cameras without a fixed lens, (XL2, HD100..) and threaded (obviously) for those cameras with a fixed lens.
Are you sure? Maybe Jonathan will verify and clarify...
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 10:13 AM   #114
Major Player

Obin: http://www.eidomedia.com/hdve/ziess_fuji.htm and:
http://www.eidomedia.com/hdve/index.php for contact info

Cheers,
Steven
Steven Fokkinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 10:39 AM   #115
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Fokkinga
Wow, thanks Steven for the links.
So what's exactly involved in this conversion? Do you know?
Marius Luessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #116
Major Player

The links still have some pics up in the gallery but not all. The conversion consisted of removing the stock lens, grinding off a couple of little plastic bits that were in the way, machining and installing a metal adapter plate, and mounting the new lens.
Old September 20th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #117
Trustee

it's amazing the image quality of the new lens, and that's an SD lens?

shot a professional 30sec tv spot today with teh Letus35, really really nice footage from it, I will post some when I start to edit.
Old September 20th, 2005, 11:56 PM   #118
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Porter
Obin, did you see Sean Porter's problem that cropped up when he replaced the stock DVX lens on his camera? What do you think the problem was with Sean's design?
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=39420

He never posted a response so I'm wondering whether he resolved the issue.

Are you sure? Maybe Jonathan will verify and clarify...

I read it at the source. It's one of the newer posts. Hopefully I'm not mistaken but I 'm positive bayonet mounts are indeed available.

One of the reasons I have not bought the redrockmicro.

Here's the thread:

http://www.guerilla35.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=106
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 03:20 AM   #119
Major Player

Eric, I read the entire thread again and I think you are misunderstanding Jonathan, or I am misunderstanding you, LOL

I got the impression you meant that the G35 would allow you to omit the original XL-2 lens and mount the G35 directly to the camcorder without a lens on the camcorder. If this is what you meant then I think you are mistaken.
Old September 21st, 2005, 09:40 AM   #120
Regular Crew

Quote:
it's amazing the image quality of the new lens, and that's an SD lens?

shot a professional 30sec tv spot today with teh Letus35, really really nice footage from it, I will post some when I start to edit.
Obin,

Are you refering to Matteo's lens or the lens you used with the LETUS 35 for your TV spot?
Maheel Perera is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods