Which 35mm adapter is right? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 5th, 2005, 01:54 PM   #16
Major Player

By the way. My wife is from Singapore. Met and married in Hawaii (where she attended UofH) and now living in Los Angeles.
I'm even thinking of doing a short film in Singapore with a few friends who live there to take advantage of the futuristic look the downtown area has.
I commented to my wife that the city looks twenty years advanced of Los Angeles.
Very cool place to be.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #17
Trustee

Wow..thaz a coincidence.. Glad u like Singapore, its a small city compared to the States. Visit here sometime!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #18
Trustee

Singapore is really cool indeed.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 08:36 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah
Wow..thaz a coincidence.. Glad u like Singapore, its a small city compared to the States. Visit here sometime!

My time back next year in Singapore will be the third time in five years. We will be stopping in Tokyo first. It will be my first time there instead of being stuck in Narita International like the last time.
Old October 5th, 2005, 11:34 PM   #20
Trustee

Hey I'm planning for a Tokyo trip next yr too.. make sure u get some nice footage there.. the nice scene in Tokyo should be pretty cool..
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Hey I'm planning for a Tokyo trip next yr too.. make sure u get some nice footage there.. the nice scene in Tokyo should be pretty cool..

Exactly. I'm looking forward to shooting Tokyo at night. My biggest concern is lugging the XL2 around. It's a little too big to be inconspicuous.
I saw footage from a Sony A-1 the other day and was utterly blown away by the ultra clean image that tiny thing produced.
The lens alone on my XL2 is almost larger than that little guy!
It has the CMOS chip so no smearing of light.
I'm seriously considering a purchase of one of these before my trip there.
It's interlaced only but when the picture is that nice who cares.
I'm one of those guys who actually likes both 60i and 24p and believes they are both equally viable.
Okay...think we have gone waaay off topic, here.
So, I'll add into this that I'll throw my Letus35mm adapter onto it when I go.
There, back on topic.
Old October 13th, 2005, 09:29 AM   #22
New Boot

What kind of GG are the Guerilla35 Guys planning on using?
Kumar Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 09:52 AM   #23
Trustee

G35 is Microwax.
Old October 13th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #24
Major Player

No. G35 may be microwax. They have never said what it is.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 02:15 PM   #25
Trustee

Does anyone know if I have to use focus controller to use these adaptors in the environment i.e. steadicam?

TIA

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:20 AM   #26
Regular Crew

VAV 70mm adapter

Quote:
I have been lurking ard here n learnt a lot about 35mm adapters. Now the burning question is,there r so many adapters around,which r the better ones for HC1? These r the few I have seen

1. Guerilla 35 (prototype but US$1000)
2. Redrock Micro M2 (US$500)
3. Formatt Matte (UK150)
4. Letus35 (US$300)

Seems like all of em were designed for the larger cameras like Sony FX1. I wonder if it will work well for HC1. Besides that, is it true that using such adapters will result in a reversed image on the screen? They looks kinda tough to handle. Is that why I some of the rigs have additional TFT screens to flip the image to the correct orientation?

http://www.robertrobertproductions.com/m2/angle.jpg
Check out the VAV 70mm adapter at.. www.freewebs.com/wvargas
if you have questions please email them.
Winston Vargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:24 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Winston vargas 70mm adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diaconu
Matthew,

The image you posted (as well as others originated from microwaxed screens) is indeed gorgeous. I have made my experiments here using quite a few different types of screens (not microwax but POC which is very close) and I have learned to love them all. (only sin is a bit of vigneting)

Each one can be used on a certain light "scheme" (contrast, low ight, etc) and THIS is the very reason I have gone through hell to make it in such way so one can change the screens in MPIC to suit the light. A refinement (I dare to say) as it always happens with "labour of love" (and no, I do not use an achromat, although I bought one from Century (what a fine piece of glass!... luve it!)

Check out the 70mm adapter at www.freewebs.com you'll see the unit and some other things. The only one around using medium format lenses.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:26 AM   #28
Regular Crew

the 70mm adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Hurd
Matthew, how do the thicker ones increase dynamic range? Or do you mean they don't wash out shadows as easily (like the glass ones do), and thus better replicate the range that is out there? To increase dynamic range, either the brights would have to be subdued and/or the shadows would have to get lighter -- all without losing detail. If the thicker wax is somehow doing this, I'd love to know!
As for gamma curve, is this subjective or have you made measurements?
It seems that in the footage from my own wax-adapter-in-progress, the highlights don't blow out like I'd expect them to, and I'm not sure why. The shadows do stay dark, which is nice. Is that what you're referring to? Is it really possible that wax can subdue highlights without darkening midtones and shadows as well? If you are right, then they have an even greater advantage than I'd imagined. Not only are they solving the DOF weakness of video, but also addressing the comparative lack of exposure latitude.
Like you, I'm a big fan of the wax adapters, but am confused by your statements.

Dan, I find your site a little confusing to navigate. Do you mind me asking if you've tested your non-achromat adapter on cameras with 70mm or larger lenses? Are they using macro extensions, then? Is your system exclusively SLR-GG-Video then?

Thanks to you both,

G
For info on the only medium format adapter so far. check out my website
www.freewebs.com/wvargas if you have any question... just ask..
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:30 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Medium Format adapter

Quote:
I have been lurking ard here n learnt a lot about 35mm adapters. Now the burning question is,there r so many adapters around,which r the better ones for HC1? These r the few I have seen

1. Guerilla 35 (prototype but US$1000)
2. Redrock Micro M2 (US$500)
3. Formatt Matte (UK150)
4. Letus35 (US$300)

Seems like all of em were designed for the larger cameras like Sony FX1. I wonder if it will work well for HC1. Besides that, is it true that using such adapters will result in a reversed image on the screen? They looks kinda tough to handle. Is that why I some of the rigs have additional TFT screens to flip the image to the correct orientation?

http://www.robertrobertproductions.com/m2/angle.jpg

If you're looking for a lightweight adapter using medium format lenses look at this website,,
www.freewebs.com/wvargas and if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask..
Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:21 PM   #30
Major Player

my first(actually not so first, because i asked earlier exactly the same thing) question, Winston, is as Donnie Wagner asked in another thread, do You have some downloadable footage as well? I know there was DVD containing Your footage but anyway something for network-lazy-people. If You have problem with server space let me know. Because that medium format thing is really damn interesting.
Frank Hool is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods