Possibly Stupid Question... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Possibly Stupid Question...

I see all these people using 35mm adapters talking about using things like magnets, external LCDs and other tricks to flip the image.

My $500 camcorder has the ability to flip the image on the LCD. So I'm guessing most of the 3 ccd/high end cameras don't have this feature? I just ordered a DVX100b and I'm curious.
Luke Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 12:19 PM   #2
New Boot

Hi Luke,
When you say your camcoder has ability to flip the image- Are you saying you get 180 degree flipped image on the LCD when you rotate it towards the lens?

If this is the case, other cams too have that feature. What people are trying to do is- to see the 180 degree flipped image without rotating the LCD. Because when you record from behind the camera it will be lot more convenient to monitor the footage staying behind the camera
Madhav Yerella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 01:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Nope, I have a menu option called "flip image". When this is selected it flips the image 180 degrees when it is facing the operator without physically moving the LCD. The camera is a Sony, I believe the HC something model.
Luke Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 02:13 PM   #4
New Boot

Hi Luke,
You are lucky to have that feature on your SONY HC model, if you plan to use it with DOF adaptor. I guess that feature is not available on pana gs400, pana dvx100 or canon xl1 or xl2. But on pana GS400 and dvx100 there is a mirror mode for self recording which is useless to flip image 180 degree without rotating LCD.

So guys, who have the Sony HC model can use that feature without magnets or external LCD monitors.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 03:15 PM   #5
Major Player

Madhav, sorry to say, no, he is talking about a "flop" function (as FCP calls it). It's a horizontal flip, not a vertical flip. It is not what is needed for use with a 35mm adapter and it is not what the DVX100, XL-2, etc, need.

The HC model, like all the others to date, cannot be used without a magnet or some other means to vertically flip the image. Well, they can, but have have to get used to looking at your image upside down! :-)

For what it's worth, I think the DVX100A and GS400 may have a horizontal flip (aka "flop") feature but I can't recall as I never use it.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 03:30 PM   #6
New Boot

Hi Luke,
Bill has provided good info. Could you please confirm you are really getting 180 degree flip on Sony HC-which is horizontal plus the vertical flip. What Bill is talking about is the image will have upside down problem solved but the left part will appear on the right. Am I right Bill? This kind of flip can be achieved by using single mirror.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 06:46 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
This kind of flip can be achieved by using single mirror.
Yes but the image will appear backwards.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods