Canon FD Lense F-Stop FIX* - for Letus35/SG35 etc at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 30th, 2005, 01:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon FD Lense F-Stop FIX* - for Letus35/SG35 etc

Hi,

Ok, since aquiring a few FD's i am wanting to know the step by step fix* to enable the aperture to be selected whilst on these adapters.

If someone who has done this can post a step by step, with some photos, that would be cool... can it be done first thing i should actually ask ??
I know Quyen posted a pic of pushing that lever forward.. but is that the only thing one needs to do -then re attach the lens and your then able to adjust f-stops...

Any info will be wecomed... thanks

Q
Quinn OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Quinn,
Yes, once the FD lens is mounted to the letus/SG35, all that will be needed to gain full manual aperture control, will be to have that pin fixed like in Quyens pic.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 03:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ok, managed to sort that out.. the wire bread twisty worked a treat..
I can manually set the f-stops now on my FD 50 1.4 once locked on to the adapter.

Thanks Wayne/Quyen
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quinn, where did Quyen post these pics? I'd like to adjust the aperture on my FD lenses, too.

Thanks,
Old December 3rd, 2005, 04:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Kin,

here is the picture, sorry, not sure where the posting is..

http://www.letus35.com/type1.JPG

Hope this helps.
Old December 3rd, 2005, 05:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

FD lens fix...

Each lens is slightly different. I use my FD lenses on my Aaton so I have the same issue. Canon did make a special adaptor for use with reversing rings and on bellows, these can be found on ebay sometimes. I have engineered my own from aluminium sheet, plastic and various others depending on the lens.
On every lens you will find a lever, it is this that must be pushed back for stopping down the aperture. On the white 'L' series lenses you can insert a small 'widgit' into the space that is left open, with a 'waist' to stop it from dropping out. On others there is no deep space left so you need to make another plan, on the 17mm f4 there is the lever and a small peg that sticks up 15mm or so around the barrel from the lever, I have fashioned a strip of aluminium that slips over the aperture lever and then I pull it around to catch the peg and hold the lever back.
I am sorry if this all sounds confusing but with the lens in front of you it becomes more obvious. The main thing to ensure is that the widget stays in place, if it drops out it may foul whatever mechanism (spinning mirrors, shutters etc) it hits.

Good luck,

James
DP
Earthmedia Imaging and Film
Mozambique
James Ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 09:35 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Quinn and James, one of the FD lenses I have looks almost exactly the same as the one in the link. The problem is, when i try to pull that lever back, it only goes back about half way. Any thoughts?
Old December 3rd, 2005, 11:06 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Kin,
I have altered my 50mm 1.4 using this method, its the SSC type lense, i was able to move the large silver ring around the base of the lense - unique to the SSC type i think.. so i could open that lever, mine is only open to half also, i jammed a cut to fit bread twisty to bend round the curve.. i could then manually move the aperture rings as long as this lever was in that position.. i found on my 50mm 1.8 that it did not work .. or to be honest i stopped trying as i will not use that lense again..

Trial and error for me..

let me know if you have any luck and i'll try to help out where i can

Cheers
Q
Quinn OConnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods