Possible GG idea - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:28 PM   #16
Major Player

Just a quasi-update on the Canon Ee-A and Ee-S screens that Daniel mentioned a bit ago. A gentleman on DVXUser.com that I am in contact with has ordered the Ee-A screen and will be testing it upon arrival. When he spoke with Canon directly they told him there was no focusing circle. Several of us on DVXUser are anxiously awaiting the results of his tests, and I will post a link to them over here when they are available.

As yet another alternative, I have found a source for the Nikon B III BrightView screen that is used in the Nikon D2X camera. This focusing screen is supposed to increase the brightness of the image by a full stop, so we'll see if that helps in terms of its use as a GG or not. It's used in the D2X, which is a very expensive and high end digital camera, so I imagine the optical properties of the BIII screen will be at least up to par with the elusize D screen. I have my other parts ordered and will hopefully have things together within the next two weeks. I'll post my own results as I have them. I intend to post up my final design for anyone else to copy. The person that I got the plans from has since hidden them from the world and is planning on producing the adapter. But the adapter is based on several known designs anyway so I am going to post up as much info as I can about my design so if others want to they can make their own. It's really easy, and not very expensive either. Minus the lens, I should be assemble the entire adapter for just under $100. It is a static design, so it will have its limitations.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:23 AM   #17
Major Player

I have one of those one piece focusing screens too. Mine is even bigger than 36x25.
On most cams I`ve tried it it has more barrel distortion than Beattie and other frensel focusing screens.

One good thing with ground sided PCX is that you can re grind it`s surface to finer grade using usual methods mentioned many times here.

This kind of stuff is available from European eBays for around 5 to 40 EUR.

Something like this: EXA/Exakta Mattlupe for EUR 7,99
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #18
Major Player

I'm not sure if anyone was following this or not, but the guy over at DVXUser.com that had ordered the Canon Ee-S screen found that it did in fact have a focusing circle in the middle. I thought he had ordered the Ee-A, but that's not the case. Apparently this won't be the "alternative" screen to the elusive Nikon D screen. I know that the frenzy is in full force over at DVXuser.com, as people are now spending upwards of $75 on the D screen on eBay. My B III screen is still on backorder, but when it arrives I'll test it out and let everyone know how it works as a GG. Better yet I'll post up screen grabs so you can judge for yourself.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods