35mm telecine project advise sought. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 5th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #1
New Boot

35mm telecine project advise sought.

I am attempting to fabricate my own telecine for 35mm film.

I have most of the equipment needed but am seeking advise and information on HD camera.

Also, recommendations on lens types.

Can anyone give me some pointers?

A videocamera lens will have to be able to optically focus sharply down to the frame of 1910s - 1920s 35mm film. Some of the film will have slight warpage. As a result, the focus depth of field must remain sharp with depth fluctuations of + or - 3 or 4 millimeters.

This will be used to transfer rare public domain films that I cannot project.

Can anyone help with suggestions?
Darren Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #2
Trustee

I tried those small telecine converters (got one of ebay). It worked fine for 8mm and 16mm work, but there is alot of flickering. Someone said that virtudub has a de-flicker plugin or something. I think this is what you are asking about, right?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've saved a lot of flickering footage (due to bad wiring in my spinner) with the VirtualDub filter MSU DeFlicker, http://www.compression.ru/video/deflicker/index_en.html
Old March 5th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Delaney
I tried those small telecine converters (got one of ebay). It worked fine for 8mm and 16mm work, but there is alot of flickering. Someone said that virtudub has a de-flicker plugin or something. I think this is what you are asking about, right?
No.

I will be running film through a 35mm editor one frame at a time. A video camera connected to my PC will be focusing in on the film.

With each advance of the film frame a sensor will be tripped and the HD image saved on the PC, in sequence. The software will convert all into HD MPEG video, if all works well.

The film to video converter boxes found on eBay and department stores are not good for the quality I am attempting to get.

I just need some pointers on what to look for in lens and HD camera types that will be best suitable.
Old March 5th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #5
Trustee

If you don't mind me asking, how is your system costing you (the one you are using, one-frame-at-time)?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Delaney
If you don't mind me asking, how is your system costing you (the one you are using, one-frame-at-time)?
This is a semi-professional high-end project consisting of a 35mm Moviola editing machine that was owned by Warner Brothers and HD video equipment.

So far, it has cost me about $600 and I don't have the video camera yet.

35mm is primarily cinema film. I am not transfering home movies.
Old March 6th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #7
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Nemeth
No.

I will be running film through a 35mm editor one frame at a time. A video camera connected to my PC will be focusing in on the film.

With each advance of the film frame a sensor will be tripped and the HD image saved on the PC, in sequence. The software will convert all into HD MPEG video, if all works well.
Could a digital stills camera not maybe give higher quality for cheaper if its just collecting lots of images
Tam Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #8
Major Player

I couldn't help but think the same thing that Tam just said. If you got even a 3 megapixel digital camera you'd be doing better than 1080i, plus you wouldn't have any interlacing or the same artifacts introduced by video compression. Imagine the results from a 6 megapixel camera. :D Just lock your exposure and focus and I would think the results would be fantastic.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oveson
I couldn't help but think the same thing that Tam just said. If you got even a 3 megapixel digital camera you'd be doing better than 1080i, plus you wouldn't have any interlacing or the same artifacts introduced by video compression. Imagine the results from a 6 megapixel camera. :D Just lock your exposure and focus and I would think the results would be fantastic.
Are there any megapixel cameras that have the HD video output jack?

I need to be able to connect it to my PC.
Old March 6th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #10
Major Player

Most of the Canon Digital SLRs have a USB connector and software for operating them via the connection. They also offer and SDK for free so you could script your own program to capture the images direct to disk. Once to disc as image files, you would handle them the same way as you would a traditional Cineon or EXR frameset.

Nikon's also have USB connections, but they're not as sharing with an SDK.

I would agree that this would be the way to go for a DIY Telecine system. Much higher dynamic range and resolution than any video camera.
Old March 6th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Jushchyshyn
Most of the Canon Digital SLRs have a USB connector and software for operating them via the connection. They also offer and SDK for free so you could script your own program to capture the images direct to disk. Once to disc as image files, you would handle them the same way as you would a traditional Cineon or EXR frameset.

Nikon's also have USB connections, but they're not as sharing with an SDK.

I would agree that this would be the way to go for a DIY Telecine system. Much higher dynamic range and resolution than any video camera.
Thanks for the info.

I will post the software later and technical details of what I am doing.

I am sure that the program I will be using downsamples each film frame video capture. I'll be back later.

Thanks for the digital camera tips. It sound more useful for my pourposes and perhaps cheaper than HD video.
Old March 6th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #12
Major Player

Yeah, it will most likely be cheaper than an HD solution, and if you're going frame by frame it will probably be the highest quality as well. Like Nick said, there will be a higher dynamic range and more resolution than HD. Good luck!
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Nemeth
Thanks for the info.

I will post the software later and technical details of what I am doing.

I am sure that the program I will be using downsamples each film frame video capture. I'll be back later.

Thanks for the digital camera tips. It sound more useful for my pourposes and perhaps cheaper than HD video.
The software I am thinking of using is called CineCap found here http://jeffdod.tripod.com/alternaware/.

More home telecine info can be found here but it is for 8mm film.
http://homepage.mac.com/onsuper8/diy...e/control.html
Darren Nemeth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods