Lens Adapter for HD100 finished. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 10:04 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Ted.

I think you about have it beaten. I could live with what you have there. No corner falloff observable, a nice look, maybe a little chroma margin on the high contrast edges but I understand JVC's own lens also does this so there may be no improvement remaining for you to make.

We have the advantage of dissecting your still frame grabs over lengths of time. A motion image which directs audience concentration upon a well shot subject will steer attenton away from any chroma margins on contrasted edges.

On a big digital projection screen it may be a different matter, but those are not always all that sharp anyway.

I might be tempted to take the camera back from the groundglass a little furthur and zoom in to compensate to try and get away from using the JVC lens own macro feature as well as having the achromat on front.

In my own tests with the JVC standard lens and a 7+ dioptre, I tried using the JVC backfocus adjustment or the macro adjustment just to be able to pull the groundglass physically closer to shorten the appliance itself.

This gave me a poorer image, it did not hold focus through the zoom range and there was a CA issue, so I put another 15mm back onto the length of the tube I was using and zoomed in a little more.

If you can keep the backfocus neutral, then you have the advantage of a little zoom range to help with framing and composition. You won't experience the same resolution hit this practice introduces with 35mm adaptors.

I think you should be well pleased with what you now have. It is certainly usable. Put a hold on your developments for a little while and just go out and enjoy shooting with it.

While you are shooting or simply doing other things, you will still come up with ideas. Given a few weeks of ruminating and digestion, the ideas will be easier then to put in place.

Last edited by Bob Hart; June 4th, 2007 at 08:14 AM. Reason: added words
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #32
Trustee

Bob,

Thank you for your help in providing me with tips on the alignment. Your right, i'll give it a rest now and do some shooting. Im posting a pic on the adapter modification.
Attached Thumbnails
Lens Adapter for HD100 finished.-side-view-dof120.jpg  
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:10 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Ted.

You made the time on a developmental prototype when others including myself would rush things, to file the sharp corners and tidy spacing of screw centres and add extra right-angle bracing to avoid any shake or mechanical loading of the camera structure.

The decals and focal plane mark add to the presentation and perception of competence by clients.

Your work seems to be thorough and unhurried.

Very impressive. I would hope your imaging work, likely as thorough as your project, yields appropriate reward for your efforts.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Bob Hart; June 4th, 2007 at 08:18 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods