View Full Version : GL -- various questions from 2002

Chris Hurd
September 5th, 2001, 10:58 PM
Howdy from Texas,

Since I don't own a GL1 myself, I have to rely on other folks to contribute material. I haven't forgotten about the Son of Watchdog pages and have been in contact with a GL1 user or two who might be interested in sending in an article. Of course, if you're a GL1 owner, you're more than welcome to as well!

Chris Hurd
September 5th, 2001, 11:53 PM
Howdy from Texas,

A question I get asked a lot is, "where is the best place to buy a (insert camera here)?" The answer is, the place which will give you an honest deal with great service, and not rip you off by suckering you in with ridiculously low prices and then pulling the old bait-and-switch.

I'm working with several of my sponsors on a DV Buyer's Guide to avoid rip-offs. For now, though, I recommend that you deal only through my sponsors. Three of them can put a Canon DV camcorder into your hands: Pro Tape, ProMax, and ZGC. Their prices are *realistic* and their reputations are the best you'll find anywhere. Hope this helps,

smartydraaws
February 28th, 2002, 12:51 AM
just wondering if anyone has used the "steadytracker"???

wanting to buy something???

any suggestions/experiences greatly appreciated...

thanks,

william

Tim Wright
March 5th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Is anyone using the studio ones XLR Pro to bring in more than one Mic???

What is your experience with the audio and the lack of manual control with it, and particularly in ref to the mixer also.

Thanks

Tim

Dan C.
May 31st, 2002, 05:33 AM
Anyone from the UK (or even not from the UK) considering the XM1 (GL1) might be interested in www.askdirect.co.uk which is now selling it for £1195 inc. VAT.

Be interesting to see if it falls any further before it is replaced by Canon....

George Gerez
June 19th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Does anyone have Any Mini Movie or clips created with the Canon GL1. that is downloadable on the NET (pro or semi pro) only please.

Mark Reidy
June 25th, 2002, 10:09 AM
http://www.canondv.com/gl2/index.html

Peter Butler
August 15th, 2002, 05:18 AM
There's one website that's doing the XM2 for £1704 including vat, check it here http://www.nomatica.com. I also rang one of the official canon dealers that Canon have on their website and their price was £1760 including vat. I'm going to wait in till most shops have it so I can get the best deal. I'm editing this thread because I was actually meant to be replying to the thread titled "when's it out but" must have pressed the new topic instead of reply.

MaximusV
August 20th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Hello everyone,

I am going to buy a Canon XM-2, and found out that the prices in Germany are quite attractive compared to these in Poland. Does anyone knows maybe some stores in Berlin (it's not far to Berlin from Polish border), which carry XM-2? I would like to buy it rather "in-store" than "on-line". As I browsed "on-line" offers it could be found in Germany at prices 2500 EUR or less.
I would be thankful for some addresses.

Best regards,
Maciej

Stephen van Vuuren
September 3rd, 2002, 09:08 AM
I'm helping a local guy do his first short film. I will be running audio. I have Audio-technica shotgun, fishpole, shockmount and Sony Wireless and a Samson mixer. I'm all XLR of course and the guy has a GL1 with miniplug.

I tried running unshielded 1/4" to 1/8" miniplug in his GL1. Very noisy on camera headphone out but clean on my mixer monitor. He says he has no money for Beachtek adapter.

He has a camera mounted Azden shotgun, but will be moving the camera. He asked about buying a 25 ft extension for the Azden and booming that.

Any thoughts?

Jim Sauza
September 3rd, 2002, 05:14 PM
Hey Chris, what do you think about a Microphone & Audio sub-section under the GL-2 section here. Something like we have under the XL1s.

Jim...

Frank Granovski
September 4th, 2002, 12:45 AM
I spent about an hour with one today. I was extremely impressed. And you can even hold the thing, unlike the TRV950. Canon's done a fantastic job! Wow!

Vito Zarrillo
September 7th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Hello all.

Does anyone have a reccomendation for a cold weather/rain cover for a GL2?

Thanks a bunch.

Graham Bernard
September 9th, 2002, 01:35 AM
This may be a silly question but, does anybody have experience of this Dv>Av pass thru working. Presently using Dazzle Hollywood Bridge as a means to get Dv to VHS VCR [PAL] tape. Would like to make use of the XM2 DV-in Av-out option as a simple pass-thru.

Or is the process:

1.Dv recorded out from pc to Canon
2. Av out from same Canon to VHS VCR

Presently editing in Video Factory and sending DV-AVIs from Studio 7 to Dazzle Hollywood Bridge for conversion to AV.

Thanks in advance.

Grazie

Jason D. Moore
September 16th, 2002, 09:49 PM
Hey everyone, I'm looking into purchasing a GL1/2 and am interested in some low light footage if anyone has any. I've seen a lot of stills, but no actual footage. Can someone please contact me if they have some? Thanks

Moore

RICK TRADER
September 25th, 2002, 05:05 PM
NEEDED CANON GL1 please help, i need a broken, non repairable canon gl1. if anyone knows of someone who has one and is looking to sell a broken gl1 please have them contact me. rickt534@juno.com

Michael Pappas
October 13th, 2002, 12:55 PM
I assume the GL2 is set at 0IRE. On the black setup function you can set it plus or minus six steps. What is the IRE of the GL2 if you set it at the highest setting ( 6 + steps )? It appears to go much higher then 7.5 IRE.

Michael

Bill Hardy
October 17th, 2002, 10:16 PM
Check frequently for more low light GL2 movies. Here is the first:

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/iMovieTheater18.html

Bill Hardy
November 9th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Sun was fading fast. I bumped color gain up 2 or three clicks and setup level down a few clicks because I wanted filmlike colorful shots that had a clear high contrast look, and the adjustments worked wonderfully in that respect. I think I overdid it when I clicked the CP tint 2 clicks toward green. Wish I hadn't DONE that, but at least some can get an idea how color can be enhanced with the GL2 controls.

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum31.html

Mark Austin
November 16th, 2002, 11:58 AM
From a thread about time lapse shooting. I thought the group may be interest in this years Leonid meteor prodections by city:
http://www.space.com/spacewatch/leonids_lowdown_021101.html#forecast

Michael Buendia
November 25th, 2002, 01:55 PM
has anyone purchased or used this camcorder bag? any opinions on this or other bags that work with gl2 would be appreciated.

mb4

Graham Bernard
December 8th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Has anybody tried to print directly using the Canon Video Software? - I'm having a tad bit of printer hassle.

All feedback welcomed.

Otherwise this 3CCD is starting to turn a few Sony "Heads" I know! - I can't believe the clarity and shear naturalness of the beast!

Yeah I've come from the world of 10 year old analogue - and should see it in light or perspective of the limits of that technology. But - hey this is an amazing box of tricks.

Cannon to Printer via Canon Vodeo Solution s/w feedback would be welcomed.....

Grazie