GL -- various questions from 2002 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 5th, 2001, 10:58 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

GL -- various questions from 2002

Howdy from Texas,

Since I don't own a GL1 myself, I have to rely on other folks to contribute material. I haven't forgotten about the Son of Watchdog pages and have been in contact with a GL1 user or two who might be interested in sending in an article. Of course, if you're a GL1 owner, you're more than welcome to as well!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2001, 11:53 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Where to buy a GL1

Howdy from Texas,

A question I get asked a lot is, "where is the best place to buy a (insert camera here)?" The answer is, the place which will give you an honest deal with great service, and not rip you off by suckering you in with ridiculously low prices and then pulling the old bait-and-switch.

I'm working with several of my sponsors on a DV Buyer's Guide to avoid rip-offs. For now, though, I recommend that you deal only through my sponsors. Three of them can put a Canon DV camcorder into your hands: Pro Tape, ProMax, and ZGC. Their prices are *realistic* and their reputations are the best you'll find anywhere. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2002, 12:51 AM   #3
smartydraaws

steadytracker

just wondering if anyone has used the "steadytracker"???

wanting to buy something???

any suggestions/experiences greatly appreciated...

thanks,

william
Old March 5th, 2002, 05:35 PM   #4
Tim Wright

Studio 1 Mixer??????

Is anyone using the studio ones XLR Pro to bring in more than one Mic???

What is your experience with the audio and the lack of manual control with it, and particularly in ref to the mixer also.

Thanks

Tim
Old May 31st, 2002, 05:33 AM   #5
Major Player

UK XM1 - Super low prices

Anyone from the UK (or even not from the UK) considering the XM1 (GL1) might be interested in www.askdirect.co.uk which is now selling it for £1195 inc. VAT.

Be interesting to see if it falls any further before it is replaced by Canon....
Dan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2002, 09:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Any Mini Movies using the Canon Gl1?

Does anyone have Any Mini Movie or clips created with the Canon GL1. that is downloadable on the NET (pro or semi pro) only please.
gerez@bellsouth.net

---
PC Based editor: Adobe Premier Pro, Canopus DV Storm Pro. SONY VX2000, Panasonic DVX100a

George Gerez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2002, 10:09 AM   #7
New Boot

GL2 at Canon USA

http://www.canondv.com/gl2/index.html
Mark Reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2002, 05:18 AM   #8
Regular Crew

XM2 prices

There's one website that's doing the XM2 for £1704 including vat, check it here http://www.nomatica.com. I also rang one of the official canon dealers that Canon have on their website and their price was £1760 including vat. I'm going to wait in till most shops have it so I can get the best deal. I'm editing this thread because I was actually meant to be replying to the thread titled "when's it out but" must have pressed the new topic instead of reply.
Peter Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2002, 08:39 AM   #9
MaximusV

Canon XM-2 in Berlin?

Hello everyone,

I am going to buy a Canon XM-2, and found out that the prices in Germany are quite attractive compared to these in Poland. Does anyone knows maybe some stores in Berlin (it's not far to Berlin from Polish border), which carry XM-2? I would like to buy it rather "in-store" than "on-line". As I browsed "on-line" offers it could be found in Germany at prices 2500 EUR or less.
I would be thankful for some addresses.

Best regards,
Maciej
Old September 3rd, 2002, 09:08 AM   #10
Space Hipster

GL1 XLR Audio

I'm helping a local guy do his first short film. I will be running audio. I have Audio-technica shotgun, fishpole, shockmount and Sony Wireless and a Samson mixer. I'm all XLR of course and the guy has a GL1 with miniplug.

I tried running unshielded 1/4" to 1/8" miniplug in his GL1. Very noisy on camera headphone out but clean on my mixer monitor. He says he has no money for Beachtek adapter.

He has a camera mounted Azden shotgun, but will be moving the camera. He asked about buying a 25 ft extension for the Azden and booming that.

Any thoughts?
Old September 3rd, 2002, 05:14 PM   #11
"SuperSparks"

Microphone & Audio section

Hey Chris, what do you think about a Microphone & Audio sub-section under the GL-2 section here. Something like we have under the XL1s.

Jim...

Hump? What Hump?
Jim Sauza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2002, 12:45 AM   #12
Outer Circle

I like the GL2

I spent about an hour with one today. I was extremely impressed. And you can even hold the thing, unlike the TRV950. Canon's done a fantastic job! Wow!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2002, 09:51 AM   #13
New Boot

Cold weather protection for my GL2

Hello all.

Does anyone have a reccomendation for a cold weather/rain cover for a GL2?

Thanks a bunch.
Vito Zarrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2002, 01:35 AM   #14
Old Boot

XM2/GL2 - Dv>Av pass thru?

This may be a silly question but, does anybody have experience of this Dv>Av pass thru working. Presently using Dazzle Hollywood Bridge as a means to get Dv to VHS VCR [PAL] tape. Would like to make use of the XM2 DV-in Av-out option as a simple pass-thru.

Or is the process:

1.Dv recorded out from pc to Canon
2. Av out from same Canon to VHS VCR

Presently editing in Video Factory and sending DV-AVIs from Studio 7 to Dazzle Hollywood Bridge for conversion to AV.

Thanks in advance.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2002, 09:49 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Low Light Footage from GL1/2

Hey everyone, I'm looking into purchasing a GL1/2 and am interested in some low light footage if anyone has any. I've seen a lot of stills, but no actual footage. Can someone please contact me if they have some? Thanks

Moore
Jason D. Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders