What type of dvd-burner to get & software to use? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 9th, 2002, 12:36 AM   #1
New Boot

What type of dvd-burner to get & software to use?

Now that I have a GL2, I need a dvd-burner to make my own movies. What type do you recommend?

Also, what software should I use to edit?
WD-58H (wide angle adpt)
BP930 batteries
Use Fuji DVM60 tapes (SP mode)
Leonard Leguizamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2002, 12:37 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

A Mac. No kidding.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2002, 08:22 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

If you own a PC the burner everyone is using is a Pioneer. The
newest one is A05.

If you want a burner that supports the most format (CD-R/-RW,
DVD-R/-RW & DVD+R/+RW) get the new Sony DRU500A.

Editing software is very personal and has nothing todo with
burning. Most people seem to use Vegas Video, Adobe Premier
or AVID DV Xpress. Most have demos available to try out.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2002, 08:49 AM   #4
Major Player

Macs have a high price premium. Unless you have one with a DVD burner already installed you might have to pay through the nose. I have a Powerbook G4 667 DVI and am in limbo with the following choices:

1) Buy the new 1 Ghz Powerbook with DVD-R burner ($3000) and sell my old laptop, because Apple does not support external DVD burners (with one exception) for my laptop.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/92/wo/Sq4tKRxstSRP2DqO3U42GWoKqoe/0.3.0.3.27.33.0.1.3.1.3.1.1.0?100,60

2) Buy an eMac for $1500 with internal DVD burner included:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/92/wo/Sq4tKRxstSRP2DqO3U42GWoKqoe/0.3.0.3.27.25.0.1.3.1.3.1.1.0?100,67

3) Buy a Formac Devideon DVD external burner ($400) and extra Apple DVD burning software for $1000

http://www.formac.com/p_bin/?cid=solutions_drives_devideon

4) Buy one of these set top DVD burners:

http://www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com/products/product.asp?class=164

5) Wait for MCE to come out with an internal burner for my 667 DVI Powerbook:

http://store.powerbook1.com/mcepowg4cdco.html

At least you can see more choices for you in this my dilema. I may just wait for MCE, since it is rumored an internal DVD burner is in the works, and may one day be installed in my 667 DVI Powerbook, which I love. Editing video is a breeze even with Apple's iMovie.

Good luck.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2002, 10:10 AM   #5
Trustee

Macs have no inherint advantages. People may prefer the software interface, and that's fine, but if your preference is a PC stay on a PC. You can certainly get a PC that's just as powerful as any Mac if not moreso.

As for burner, DVD+Rs seem, in my experience, to be more compatible on DVD video players than DVD-Rs. You're best off getting something like the Sony DRU500A with support for both.

I edit with Premier and I think it's probably the best editing package for the PC. Final Cut Pro, etc. is probably better but as far as I know it's only on Mac. All the Adobe stuff works on both PC and Mac so that's why I stick with them.

For DVD encoding, I recommend DVD Maestro. I am not sure if it's available anymore but if you can find a copy on ebay or something like that I'd get it. It's very profesisonal and much more user friendly than something like DVDIt or any of the canned packages you get with the burner.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2002, 12:32 PM   #6
Major Player

I like my Pionner A04 DVD-RW/-R which does 2X, but this month I believe the A05 ships which can do 4X. I find DVD-R to be just as compatable as DVD+R and the media is cheaper. Pioneer has been doing DVD-R for some time now and while the Sony -R/-RW/+R/+RW read the reviews on it, it has some limitations, especially with DVD-R.

For DVD Authoring on the PC I like Ulead DVD Workshop (not Factory). DVD Workshop is very easy to use and is very stable, it is a first generation product, but has many features. I ditched DVDIt! SE for DVD Workshop.
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2002, 03:13 PM   #7
Warden

budy1065

Please read my comments at the end of this post http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=4810 Your internal DVD burner is in the works.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2002, 03:39 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for the info Jeff.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders