View Full Version : "Fusing" together timeline video in FCP?

Alex Sprinkle
June 16th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Ok, odd question, but is there a way to "un cut" or "fuse back" together pieces of video that you cut? I'm looking at a timeline I have, and there are a few segments that have both red arrows pointing at the other clips (telling me there's no gap), and I'd rather have one clip than 5 smaller clips of the same thing. Does that make sense?

Boyd Ostroff
June 16th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Do you just want one clip instead of a sequence? Why not export the whole sequence as a Quicktime movie (or set an in/out and export the section that you want)?

Alex Sprinkle
June 16th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Exporting seems like a waste. If I were to actually view certain clips in the timeline from their source, they would be the exact same, just not cut up. Imagine taking a 15 second clips, and chopping it up into different segments. We'll now have 5, 3 second clips. I realize an hour or so later (after a lot of editing, and Undo isn't an option) that I want the first, and second clips, and the fourth and fifth. Can I conjoin clips 1 and 2 since they're just a continuation of each other? Now imagine that with about 100 clips. I wish there was a righ click->repair.

Boyd Ostroff
June 16th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Guess I'm still a little confused. If you have 5 clips which are all just continuous sections of the same original then you could delete clips 2, 3, 4 and 5 from the sequence and drag the end point of clip 1 to the place where clip 5 ended before. Would that accomplish what you want?

Alex Sprinkle
June 16th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Yeah, but I have SO many that I'm really just afraid I'll delete the wrong ones. The red arrows help, though. I guess I could just do that.

Tim Dashwood
June 16th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Ok, odd question, but is there a way to "un cut" or "fuse back" together pieces of video that you cut? I'm looking at a timeline I have, and there are a few segments that have both red arrows pointing at the other clips (telling me there's no gap)
It sounds to me like you are describing "through edits" that were made with the blade tool.
You can easily right-click on a through edit (to open the contextual menu) and select "join through edit."

Scott Anderson
June 16th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Yeah, the delete, then drag option can be tough, especially when you've got a cluttered timeline.

Tim's nailed it on the head - just be kind of careful to click right on the edit, otherwise You'll get a different pop-up contextual menu.

Once you do a few, you'll get the hang of where to click.

Alex Sprinkle
June 17th, 2008, 11:46 AM
That's it! Thanks! I'm pretty sure I tried that ... a couple hundred times. Murphey's Law, I guess.