"Fusing" together timeline video in FCP? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 16th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #1
Major Player

"Fusing" together timeline video in FCP?

Ok, odd question, but is there a way to "un cut" or "fuse back" together pieces of video that you cut? I'm looking at a timeline I have, and there are a few segments that have both red arrows pointing at the other clips (telling me there's no gap), and I'd rather have one clip than 5 smaller clips of the same thing. Does that make sense?
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #2
Wrangler

Do you just want one clip instead of a sequence? Why not export the whole sequence as a Quicktime movie (or set an in/out and export the section that you want)?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Exporting seems like a waste. If I were to actually view certain clips in the timeline from their source, they would be the exact same, just not cut up. Imagine taking a 15 second clips, and chopping it up into different segments. We'll now have 5, 3 second clips. I realize an hour or so later (after a lot of editing, and Undo isn't an option) that I want the first, and second clips, and the fourth and fifth. Can I conjoin clips 1 and 2 since they're just a continuation of each other? Now imagine that with about 100 clips. I wish there was a righ click->repair.
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #4
Wrangler

Guess I'm still a little confused. If you have 5 clips which are all just continuous sections of the same original then you could delete clips 2, 3, 4 and 5 from the sequence and drag the end point of clip 1 to the place where clip 5 ended before. Would that accomplish what you want?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:33 AM   #5
Major Player

Yeah, but I have SO many that I'm really just afraid I'll delete the wrong ones. The red arrows help, though. I guess I could just do that.
Old June 16th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sprinkle View Post
Ok, odd question, but is there a way to "un cut" or "fuse back" together pieces of video that you cut? I'm looking at a timeline I have, and there are a few segments that have both red arrows pointing at the other clips (telling me there's no gap)
It sounds to me like you are describing "through edits" that were made with the blade tool.
You can easily right-click on a through edit (to open the contextual menu) and select "join through edit."
Attached Images

Old June 16th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #7
Major Player

Yeah, the delete, then drag option can be tough, especially when you've got a cluttered timeline.

Tim's nailed it on the head - just be kind of careful to click right on the edit, otherwise You'll get a different pop-up contextual menu.

Once you do a few, you'll get the hang of where to click.
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #8
Major Player

That's it! Thanks! I'm pretty sure I tried that ... a couple hundred times. Murphey's Law, I guess.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite