View Full Version : Should I buy these GL1s??

Gary Colon
September 5th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I met someone online selling GL1s. Two of them and he is asking for a VERY low price, $300 for both. He is done with the production field and is just getting rid of them. He is telling me I need to replace the Heads. How hard is this? Can I do it myself or do I have to send it in? Do I really every have to replace anything or do I just have to clean them?? Thanks!

GC

Chris Hurd
September 5th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Head replacement is *not* something you can do yourself, and the GL1 is so old that Canon USA will no longer service it. You'll have to find some third-party service provider.

Gary Colon
September 5th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Hmm, Ill have to look into that. I just found a few Camera Repair shops near where I live, never knew they were there. Anyways, what do you think? 2 GL1s for $300? He says only 1 needs a head replacement and the other just needs cleaning. My experiences with cameras have been 1 crappy MiniDV Panasonic that seems to have 1/3 of a CCD (lol) and then my 3CCD JVC Everio GZ-HD7. Im not worried about sound as we do that through a mixer, but I want to know if the image in the GL1s are good or not? Can I make a nice mix out of 2 GL1s (SD) and 1 JVC GZ-HD7 (HD)? Thanks!

Don Palomaki
September 14th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Try them before you by them. If they appear to work OK, you might have a reasonable deal for two depending on your intended usage.

Denny Bryant
November 26th, 2008, 02:44 PM
If you are still looking for a GL1 I have one in completely working order that I'll be looking to get rid of in the next few months ... of course the price will be more than 300 bucks though ;-)