Should I buy these GL1s?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 5th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Should I buy these GL1s??

I met someone online selling GL1s. Two of them and he is asking for a VERY low price, $300 for both. He is done with the production field and is just getting rid of them. He is telling me I need to replace the Heads. How hard is this? Can I do it myself or do I have to send it in? Do I really every have to replace anything or do I just have to clean them?? Thanks!

GC
Gary Colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Head replacement is *not* something you can do yourself, and the GL1 is so old that Canon USA will no longer service it. You'll have to find some third-party service provider.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hmm, Ill have to look into that. I just found a few Camera Repair shops near where I live, never knew they were there. Anyways, what do you think? 2 GL1s for $300? He says only 1 needs a head replacement and the other just needs cleaning. My experiences with cameras have been 1 crappy MiniDV Panasonic that seems to have 1/3 of a CCD (lol) and then my 3CCD JVC Everio GZ-HD7. Im not worried about sound as we do that through a mixer, but I want to know if the image in the GL1s are good or not? Can I make a nice mix out of 2 GL1s (SD) and 1 JVC GZ-HD7 (HD)? Thanks!
Gary Colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #4
Wrangler

Try them before you by them. If they appear to work OK, you might have a reasonable deal for two depending on your intended usage.
Old November 26th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

If you are still looking for a GL1 I have one in completely working order that I'll be looking to get rid of in the next few months ... of course the price will be more than 300 bucks though ;-)
Denny Bryant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders