View Full Version : editing MOD files on PC

Ali Jafri
April 7th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Hi People

I got myself some MOD files to edit and I don't have the codec. I downloaded the files and propose to use Vegas 7.0e to edit. I've edited MOD files before by simply changing the extension from .mod to .mpeg and gotten away with it because it was for YouTube. This time I need to do it proper.

Can anyone tell me either where I can get the MOD codec or how to import these files into Vegas (or Premiere - I have both) without losing quality.

Thanks!

- Ali

Kaushik Parmar
April 7th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Hi People

I got myself some MOD files to edit and I don't have the codec. I downloaded the files and propose to use Vegas 7.0e to edit. I've edited MOD files before by simply changing the extension from .mod to .mpeg and gotten away with it because it was for YouTube. This time I need to do it proper.

Can anyone tell me either where I can get the MOD codec or how to import these files into Vegas (or Premiere - I have both) without losing quality.

Thanks!

- Ali

Now YouTube also support HD videos! I have HD7 and I guess now in all editing software you can use raw files no need to convert them in to MPEG. And if you convert them in to MPEG there is no quality loses.

And which camera you have? You downloaded files from where, I am afraid!

Kaushik

Ali Jafri
April 7th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Kaushik, Vegas 7.0e does not import or recognize MOD files. I don't have a JVC camera. I am editing the MOD files for a client who has sent me the files online. I know that MOD files basically use the Mpeg-2 codec but for some odd reason I can still see some pixelation.

Anyone know how to get the best quality off of these files? I'm desperate!

- Ali

Battle Vaughan
April 7th, 2009, 04:51 PM
There are a number of MOD converters on the web, I have used AVS Video Converter, and just found a link to one that looks good but I have not used: Convert MOD - convert mod file, convert mod video (http://www.convert-mod.com/)

The freeware mpegStreamclip does this also, I believe (mod files are just mpeg2 video with AAC audio): Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows (http://www.squared5.com) This is an excellent and basic tool everybody should have. And free, did I mention free? You can find an good how-to here: How To Convert .MOD Video Files To MPEG-2 On Mac And PCs - Robin Good's Latest News (http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2008/06/12/how_to_convert_mod_video.htm)

Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team

Ali Jafri
April 7th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Battle Vaughan, thanks for your reply. Basically, when I change the extension to Mpeg, use blend fields deinterlacing, and adjust the aspect ratio I get perfect results in VLC Player. Not so much in Vegas though. I still have interlacing issues even after I've adjusted the video attributes. What could be the problem? Anyone?

Battle Vaughan
April 8th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Well, I know absolutely zip about Vegas, so I can't help, but you might try the vegas group on this site, there's lots of experts there. Best of luck! / B Vaughan