editing MOD files on PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old April 7th, 2009, 06:48 AM   #1
Major Player

editing MOD files on PC

Hi People

I got myself some MOD files to edit and I don't have the codec. I downloaded the files and propose to use Vegas 7.0e to edit. I've edited MOD files before by simply changing the extension from .mod to .mpeg and gotten away with it because it was for YouTube. This time I need to do it proper.

Can anyone tell me either where I can get the MOD codec or how to import these files into Vegas (or Premiere - I have both) without losing quality.

Thanks!

- Ali
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Jafri View Post
Hi People

I got myself some MOD files to edit and I don't have the codec. I downloaded the files and propose to use Vegas 7.0e to edit. I've edited MOD files before by simply changing the extension from .mod to .mpeg and gotten away with it because it was for YouTube. This time I need to do it proper.

Can anyone tell me either where I can get the MOD codec or how to import these files into Vegas (or Premiere - I have both) without losing quality.

Thanks!

- Ali
Now YouTube also support HD videos! I have HD7 and I guess now in all editing software you can use raw files no need to convert them in to MPEG. And if you convert them in to MPEG there is no quality loses.

And which camera you have? You downloaded files from where, I am afraid!

Kaushik
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Kaushik, Vegas 7.0e does not import or recognize MOD files. I don't have a JVC camera. I am editing the MOD files for a client who has sent me the files online. I know that MOD files basically use the Mpeg-2 codec but for some odd reason I can still see some pixelation.

Anyone know how to get the best quality off of these files? I'm desperate!

- Ali
Old April 7th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #4
Trustee

There are a number of MOD converters on the web, I have used AVS Video Converter, and just found a link to one that looks good but I have not used: Convert MOD - convert mod file, convert mod video

The freeware mpegStreamclip does this also, I believe (mod files are just mpeg2 video with AAC audio): Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows This is an excellent and basic tool everybody should have. And free, did I mention free? You can find an good how-to here: How To Convert .MOD Video Files To MPEG-2 On Mac And PCs - Robin Good's Latest News

Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Mod and Vegas interlacing issues

Battle Vaughan, thanks for your reply. Basically, when I change the extension to Mpeg, use blend fields deinterlacing, and adjust the aspect ratio I get perfect results in VLC Player. Not so much in Vegas though. I still have interlacing issues even after I've adjusted the video attributes. What could be the problem? Anyone?
Old April 8th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #6
Trustee

Well, I know absolutely zip about Vegas, so I can't help, but you might try the vegas group on this site, there's lots of experts there. Best of luck! / B Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series