View Full Version : Question about the Azden CAM-3 Mixer

Brian Miller
May 17th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Greetings everyone! This is my first post, but I have been visiting for quite a while!

A few pages down in this forum, there was discussion of the Azden CAM-3 audio mixer as a very lightweight, non-powered, clip-on approach to using multiple microphones. I have been trying to learn more about the device, and have been unable to get any information, including from Azden's own website.

What inputs and outputs are there on the device? In the photos, it almost looks like there are only 1/4" phono plugs on it. How could such a device not have XLR jacks? Do those of you who use this thing carry an entire trunk of adapters with you?

I don't have the funds at the moment to just go ahead and get Canon's own hot shoe/XLR converter, and was hoping that anyone who actually has one of either of them would respond.

K. Forman
May 17th, 2004, 09:46 AM
XLR jacks and phantom power cost more. The cam 3 is a cheap alternative, nothing more.

Patrick MCMurray
May 17th, 2004, 01:20 PM
i think that was me asking about it a couple months back...
very cheap.... like 30 bucks, right? the one with 3 sliders?
bet you the price of it that it wont stand up to very much
abuse < synonymus to "use" for some of us >. it could work for say mixing two wireless lavs and a boom. wireless because you dont want to run unbalanced that far, but if you can aford wireless, get something better. in my search for cheap-@$$ audio equipment, i found a Rolls for around $100. still not great, but its has xlr jacks. the down sides of this one are probably covered in that old thread as well. most important is the rolls can pan so you can completely separate tracks and adjust levels independantly in post.
good luck