View Full Version : Picture Unperfect

Ian Hong
June 18th, 2004, 12:10 AM
When I use my GL2 in frame movie mode while panning horizontally (not vertically), I've been getting this odd pixel shifting, where it looks like every other horizontal line of pixels is shifted to the right some. This only happens when I'm doing a slow to moderate pan, and then stops if the camera is not panning. I've searched the forums for any problem like this, but couldn't find one. I'm not talking about the "strobe" effect that, because of the 30 fps, comes normally with frame movie mode. This shifting does not happen when in normal movie mode.

Oddly enough, when I import my videos taken in frame movie mode onto my computer it no longer does this shifting, and each frame looks perfect, and plays perfect. But on all TV's of at least moderate size (I've tried 3) the shifting thing happens. However, this shifting is not perceptible on the viewfinder or LCD panel but I think this is just due to the small size of the display.

Is this normal or is there something wrong with my GL2?
Has anyone else experienced this?
If there is something wrong, does anyone have any tips on fixing it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-Ian Hong

Ken Tanaka
June 18th, 2004, 12:35 AM
Just trying to clarify:

You observe the fields (lines) of your video appear to be momentarily out of synchronization when playing slow/moderate pan (but not tilt) footage shot in FRAME mode on a standard television? You do not observe this when viewing the same footage on your computer monitor.

Ian Hong
June 18th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Yes, that is correct, and the shifting continues for as long as I continue to pan.

Graham Bernard
June 18th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Service!

Ian Hong
June 18th, 2004, 02:54 PM
I just tried changing the shutter speed to 1/30 in normal movie mode and it is doing the same shifting thing, but it is not happening in any lower or higher shutter speeds.

Mark Williams
June 18th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Ian,

I know this may be a long shot but try panning with the image stabilization off and see if it still does it. A general rule that I have learned from this forum is leave it off when panning to get a cleaner image. If this dosen't help then you can at least rule it out as a cause.

Regards,

Mark

Ian Hong
June 18th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Thanks Mark, unfortunately it didn't fix it.

Seun Osewa
November 1st, 2006, 12:19 AM
Can you post a small video sample of what you're experiencing?