Picture Unperfect at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 18th, 2004, 12:10 AM   #1
New Boot

Picture Imperfect

When I use my GL2 in frame movie mode while panning horizontally (not vertically), I've been getting this odd pixel shifting, where it looks like every other horizontal line of pixels is shifted to the right some. This only happens when I'm doing a slow to moderate pan, and then stops if the camera is not panning. I've searched the forums for any problem like this, but couldn't find one. I'm not talking about the "strobe" effect that, because of the 30 fps, comes normally with frame movie mode. This shifting does not happen when in normal movie mode.

Oddly enough, when I import my videos taken in frame movie mode onto my computer it no longer does this shifting, and each frame looks perfect, and plays perfect. But on all TV's of at least moderate size (I've tried 3) the shifting thing happens. However, this shifting is not perceptible on the viewfinder or LCD panel but I think this is just due to the small size of the display.

Is this normal or is there something wrong with my GL2?
Has anyone else experienced this?
If there is something wrong, does anyone have any tips on fixing it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-Ian Hong
Ian Hong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 12:35 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Just trying to clarify:

You observe the fields (lines) of your video appear to be momentarily out of synchronization when playing slow/moderate pan (but not tilt) footage shot in FRAME mode on a standard television? You do not observe this when viewing the same footage on your computer monitor.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 12:41 AM   #3
New Boot

Yes, that is correct, and the shifting continues for as long as I continue to pan.
Old June 18th, 2004, 09:59 AM   #4
Old Boot

Service!
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 02:54 PM   #5
New Boot

I just tried changing the shutter speed to 1/30 in normal movie mode and it is doing the same shifting thing, but it is not happening in any lower or higher shutter speeds.
Old June 18th, 2004, 03:06 PM   #6
Trustee

Ian,

I know this may be a long shot but try panning with the image stabilization off and see if it still does it. A general rule that I have learned from this forum is leave it off when panning to get a cleaner image. If this dosen't help then you can at least rule it out as a cause.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 03:42 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks Mark, unfortunately it didn't fix it.
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:19 AM   #8
Major Player

Can you post a small video sample of what you're experiencing?
Seun Osewa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders