View Full Version : What's the diff?

Ryan P. Green
June 22nd, 2004, 08:58 PM
I just shot a sporting event with a gl1 and a gl2 at the same time. The GL2 looks a lot more film-like than the GL1. I don't know how to really put it, however i can say that both were lit the same way. Is it possible that image sharpening was turned on on the GL1? Or is it something else?

My school has 2 GL2's and I now know to ensure that I get both at the same time, however if I am stuck in the same situation again, how can I make the GL1's picture look better?

Ken Tanaka
June 22nd, 2004, 09:19 PM
Welcome Ryan,
You've posed a query that's nearly impossible to answer. "Film look" and "better" are pretty subjective qualities and you've not provided any details whatsoever on how each of the cameras was set-up. Cameras used in communal settings, such as schools, can be hard to nail-down, particularly if you're just learning their use.

The GL2 is a better camera, as it should be as the GL1's successor. It has a broader range of imaging adjustments and has a higher resolution CCD block. So, at its default settings, it had better look better than the GL1. In general, matching the look between the two cameras will require turning the GL2's sharpness down a notch or two, as the GL1 tends to be a bit softer. It may also require adjusting the color saturation between the cameras, since the GL1 tends to be just a bit warmer than the more neutral GL2.

Have fun.

Hank Freeman
June 23rd, 2004, 02:32 PM
make sure that one wasn't left in frame mode, while the other might have been in normal mode.