What's the diff? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What's the diff?

I just shot a sporting event with a gl1 and a gl2 at the same time. The GL2 looks a lot more film-like than the GL1. I don't know how to really put it, however i can say that both were lit the same way. Is it possible that image sharpening was turned on on the GL1? Or is it something else?

My school has 2 GL2's and I now know to ensure that I get both at the same time, however if I am stuck in the same situation again, how can I make the GL1's picture look better?
Ryan P. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:19 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Ryan,
You've posed a query that's nearly impossible to answer. "Film look" and "better" are pretty subjective qualities and you've not provided any details whatsoever on how each of the cameras was set-up. Cameras used in communal settings, such as schools, can be hard to nail-down, particularly if you're just learning their use.

The GL2 is a better camera, as it should be as the GL1's successor. It has a broader range of imaging adjustments and has a higher resolution CCD block. So, at its default settings, it had better look better than the GL1. In general, matching the look between the two cameras will require turning the GL2's sharpness down a notch or two, as the GL1 tends to be a bit softer. It may also require adjusting the color saturation between the cameras, since the GL1 tends to be just a bit warmer than the more neutral GL2.

Have fun.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 02:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

frame mode

make sure that one wasn't left in frame mode, while the other might have been in normal mode.
Hank Freeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders