View Full Version : MATTE BOXES (for GL2 in particular)

Clint Grant
June 8th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Hey everyone. I just have a basic question, luagh at me, I deserve it (still a bit new to filmmaking). My question is : What effect/change would using a matte box have on the quality of my video image? Of course, I know that it would improve the control of stray sunlight, but would it do anything else? I know with the Century Optics ones you can add filters - a big advantage. I use a GL2, but I don't think that really affects the question. Well, thank you for any help, and time, Clint Grant

Robin Davies-Rollinson
June 9th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Clint,
The main reason for using a matte box is to use square/oblong filters that will fit in the tray/trays.
Especially good for graduated ND filters to take down the sky at the top of the frame (or snow at the bottom...)
The fact that it will shade the lens is a plus as well. Some have a bellows at the front which can be extended. Good for tight shots when the sun or other light source is right down the lens to a certain extent.

Robin

Matt Irwin
June 9th, 2005, 02:47 AM
Furthermore, some matteboxes have Arri-style hard mattes that are cut for specific focal lengths to more effectively flag unwanted flares and hits.

Clint Grant
June 9th, 2005, 02:32 PM
I see. Thank you both very much.