MATTE BOXES (for GL2 in particular) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 8th, 2005, 05:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

MATTE BOXES (for GL2 in particular)

Hey everyone. I just have a basic question, luagh at me, I deserve it (still a bit new to filmmaking). My question is : What effect/change would using a matte box have on the quality of my video image? Of course, I know that it would improve the control of stray sunlight, but would it do anything else? I know with the Century Optics ones you can add filters - a big advantage. I use a GL2, but I don't think that really affects the question. Well, thank you for any help, and time, Clint Grant
Clint Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 12:08 AM   #2
Trustee

Clint,
The main reason for using a matte box is to use square/oblong filters that will fit in the tray/trays.
Especially good for graduated ND filters to take down the sky at the top of the frame (or snow at the bottom...)
The fact that it will shade the lens is a plus as well. Some have a bellows at the front which can be extended. Good for tight shots when the sun or other light source is right down the lens to a certain extent.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 02:47 AM   #3
Major Player

Furthermore, some matteboxes have Arri-style hard mattes that are cut for specific focal lengths to more effectively flag unwanted flares and hits.
Old June 9th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I see. Thank you both very much.
Clint Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion