View Full Version : Importing a .wav into Final Cut

Tim Altonen
January 28th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Hello, sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere. I'm trying to import a .wav file into Final Cut, but I keep getting the error message: "File Error: 1 File recognized, 0 access denied, 1 unknown". It seems to be just his particular file, as I imported a different .wav file into the same project no problem - any advice? Thanks.

Jeff Troiano
January 28th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Ok, so I am very new to FC, and am definitely not qualified to be giving help. But I've been reading, and watching a lot of tutorials lately. I saw one, on lynda.com, that said FCP prefered AIFF files, for audio, and it showed how to use compressor to convert wav, mp3, and cd music, to AIFF files. I did this with some cd music I was going to need for a project I'm working on.

Andy Wilkinson
January 28th, 2011, 03:45 PM
What he said. Obviously, make sure you convert it to 48kHz AIFF for video (CD audio is typically 44.1kHz) and you'll be all set. You can easily use iTunes to do it too, not just Compressor. Takes seconds to do.

Liam Hall
January 28th, 2011, 04:48 PM
It sounds to me like your WAV file has been compressed with a codec that FCP doesn't recognize. Typically, you can import WAVs directly into FCP and render them on the timeline, but in this instance you'll have to try another piece of software to transcode the file or get an uncompressed version.

Bill Davis
January 28th, 2011, 08:56 PM
One of the most common issues in file formats is mistaking an actual FILE FORMAT for it's CONTAINER FORMAT.

WAV files, (like Quicktime and AIFF and many others) is NOT an actual specific codec. Rather, it's a set of container (sometimes called the "wrapper) specifications that can contain many specific data streams.

That's why it's PERFECTLY possible to have a system play one WAV file but fail to play another.

Under the wrapper one is encoded in a standard that the computer can parse and play - and the other is not.

Hope this helps.

Tim Altonen
January 29th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Thank you all for your replys -points well taken. I converted the file to .aiff in iTunes and it dropped in like a charm. Thank you again for the help and advice.