DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 28th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Importing a .wav into Final Cut

Hello, sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere. I'm trying to import a .wav file into Final Cut, but I keep getting the error message: "File Error: 1 File recognized, 0 access denied, 1 unknown". It seems to be just his particular file, as I imported a different .wav file into the same project no problem - any advice? Thanks.
Tim Altonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Ok, so I am very new to FC, and am definitely not qualified to be giving help. But I've been reading, and watching a lot of tutorials lately. I saw one, on lynda.com, that said FCP prefered AIFF files, for audio, and it showed how to use compressor to convert wav, mp3, and cd music, to AIFF files. I did this with some cd music I was going to need for a project I'm working on.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #3
Inner Circle

What he said. Obviously, make sure you convert it to 48kHz AIFF for video (CD audio is typically 44.1kHz) and you'll be all set. You can easily use iTunes to do it too, not just Compressor. Takes seconds to do.
Old January 28th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #4
Major Player

It sounds to me like your WAV file has been compressed with a codec that FCP doesn't recognize. Typically, you can import WAVs directly into FCP and render them on the timeline, but in this instance you'll have to try another piece of software to transcode the file or get an uncompressed version.
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #5
Trustee

One of the most common issues in file formats is mistaking an actual FILE FORMAT for it's CONTAINER FORMAT.

WAV files, (like Quicktime and AIFF and many others) is NOT an actual specific codec. Rather, it's a set of container (sometimes called the "wrapper) specifications that can contain many specific data streams.

That's why it's PERFECTLY possible to have a system play one WAV file but fail to play another.

Under the wrapper one is encoded in a standard that the computer can parse and play - and the other is not.

Hope this helps.
Old January 29th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you all for your replys -points well taken. I converted the file to .aiff in iTunes and it dropped in like a charm. Thank you again for the help and advice.
Tim Altonen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite