View Full Version : Mogadishu / Somalia advice

Phill Pendleton
December 21st, 2011, 09:16 PM
Hi All
Been asked to shoot a short docco in Mogadishu, meant to be quite dangerous.
Have the usual flak jackets, guards, secure accommodation etc. I also have experience shooting (probably not an appropriate word) in Congo and Northern Uganda.
Just wondering what the recent situation is like there and after any advice from those who have been or might live there.
Regards
Phill Pendleton

Chris Soucy
December 22nd, 2011, 07:04 PM
Er, you sure you want to get into this:

Somalia travel advice (http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/sub-saharan-africa/somalia)

"Braver man than I, Gungadin."

CS

Simon Wood
December 23rd, 2011, 12:55 AM
If you are going over there you would need to have a 'fixer' in place to arrange travel and security. Whoever asked you to shoot the documentary has presumably been there?

Northern Uganda and the DRC won't prepare you for the all out Mad Max style lawlessness that has been festering in Somalia for the last two decades.

Phill Pendleton
December 23rd, 2011, 01:19 AM
Thanks Chris and Simon for your replies.
I realize what a dodgy place it is, we have a fixer in place who has been working there for the last 11 years. He specializes arranging shoots for media etc.
I can pull out of the trip if trouble there escalates. Its been quiet there since November, still 4 weeks of peace doesn't mean things will stay the same.
I was wondering Simon if you have been there or know of someone based there? Although we have the fixer I feel I need more info from others (the fixer could be saying anything to gain business).
Any info will be appreciated (and thanks Chris for the link)
cheers
Phill Pendleton

Simon Wood
December 23rd, 2011, 05:30 PM
Sorry, I have never been there; and although I knew some people who had worked there previously (pilots & aid workers) they have been out of the country now for a number of years.
Everyone I met who has visited the place universally hated the experience; never heard a good word about it.

Laurence Kingston
January 12th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Is there such a thing as "kidnapping ransom insurance"? If there is, you may want to get some.

I've been to Kenya and Tanzania, but that is as close as I'm brave enough to get to Somolia.

Laurence Kingston
January 12th, 2012, 04:03 PM
What is the doc subject?

Stewart Hemley
February 9th, 2012, 03:13 AM
I was talking to a guy last week who had just returned from Somalia. He was a high-profile/good target (!) and had some pretty hairy protection but even so his many heavily armed guards were nervous about a 600 metre transfer from his "safe district" hotel to the next building. His main security person told him that seven foreigners had been killed in the last month, but "...not to worry as the last two were Belgian." We couldn't workout what the hell that was supposed to mean but it sort of shows the real situation there. No way would I risk it right now but if you go, make sure your loved ones are well set up!!