View Full Version : softboxes

Ollie Walton
January 3rd, 2012, 09:43 AM
Hey all, looking for softboxes to fit general red head lights.

any links?

also sounds stupid, but when converting 3200k to 5600k full ctb. How do you gel when using softboxes??

I do some interiors and sometimes shoot exterior lighting for interiors and the main light source is 5600k so i need to gel the lights, but when using softies i was unsure how you gel this..

Thanks

Gary Nattrass
January 3rd, 2012, 09:57 AM
These can be more useful with redheads if you need to convert to daylight, they also offer some protection if your lights don't have covers: Dichroic Daylight Filter for Redhead 3300K to 5600K | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dichroic-Daylight-Filter-Redhead-3300K-5600K-/110756435495?pt=UK_Photography_Light_Bulbs_Tubes&hash=item19c9991627)

As for softboxes they obviously need to be robust and fireproof and you have to pay a premium for that, it may be that barn doors and a bit of spun diffuser is a more safe an option.

Bill Ward
January 3rd, 2012, 08:24 PM
I do some interiors and sometimes shoot exterior lighting for interiors and the main light source is 5600k so i need to gel the lights, but when using softies i was unsure how you gel this..

Thanks
Find some CTO gels in various intensities of orangeness that are slightly larger than the softbox, and then clip the gel to the edge of the box with some C-47s.

You will, however, discover a significant light loss, so be prepared to move the lights around accordingly.

BTW...if you take a CTO gel and throw it on wood or a bare wall with a 3200k light while taking the white balance from your 5600 lights as the main key, you can often get a really nice warm glow in the background.