softboxes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

softboxes

Hey all, looking for softboxes to fit general red head lights.

any links?

also sounds stupid, but when converting 3200k to 5600k full ctb. How do you gel when using softboxes??

I do some interiors and sometimes shoot exterior lighting for interiors and the main light source is 5600k so i need to gel the lights, but when using softies i was unsure how you gel this..

Thanks
Ollie Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: softboxes

These can be more useful with redheads if you need to convert to daylight, they also offer some protection if your lights don't have covers: Dichroic Daylight Filter for Redhead 3300K to 5600K | eBay

As for softboxes they obviously need to be robust and fireproof and you have to pay a premium for that, it may be that barn doors and a bit of spun diffuser is a more safe an option.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: softboxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Walton View Post

I do some interiors and sometimes shoot exterior lighting for interiors and the main light source is 5600k so i need to gel the lights, but when using softies i was unsure how you gel this..

Thanks
Find some CTO gels in various intensities of orangeness that are slightly larger than the softbox, and then clip the gel to the edge of the box with some C-47s.

You will, however, discover a significant light loss, so be prepared to move the lights around accordingly.

BTW...if you take a CTO gel and throw it on wood or a bare wall with a 3200k light while taking the white balance from your 5600 lights as the main key, you can often get a really nice warm glow in the background.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management