View Full Version : Best shoulder mount/support rig?

Jody Arnott
January 8th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Hey guys,

I'm buying myself a JVC HM600 soon. It's my first pro camera (I've been using an XA10) so I'm not used to the extra weight. A lot of events I shoot mean I'm on my feet all day, so I'm after some sort of support rig or shoulder mount for the camera.

But there are SO many available to purchase, all of the information is doing my head in. Can anyone recommend something decent? Preferably no more than a few hundred dollars.

To be honest I don't even know if people use rigs for these types of cameras.. So yes, any info appreciated, I'm entering a whole new world here :P

Thanks!

Chris Harding
January 9th, 2013, 05:51 AM
Hi Jody

When I had my Panasonic AC-130's I found you need MORE than just a rig!! You also need a loupe otherwise you are trying to hold a heavy camera way out in front of you to use the EVF at the back. It's way more comfortable to have a rig where the EVF is not used and you put a loupe /eyepiece on the LCD.

Hoodman make one for the Sony EX1 and it fits on the LCD and has velcro to hold it in place and then you have a decent EVF and the camera is mounted further back and doesn't kill your arms.

Cine City in India (also on eBay Australia) have cheap rigs but still at least AUS$200+ !! Otherwise make your own out of aluminium rails and a foam shoulder pad.

Here is one with the AC-130 and my wife using it..worked a lot better than using the EVF at the back

Chris

Jody Arnott
February 7th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Hi Jody

When I had my Panasonic AC-130's I found you need MORE than just a rig!! You also need a loupe otherwise you are trying to hold a heavy camera way out in front of you to use the EVF at the back. It's way more comfortable to have a rig where the EVF is not used and you put a loupe /eyepiece on the LCD.

Hoodman make one for the Sony EX1 and it fits on the LCD and has velcro to hold it in place and then you have a decent EVF and the camera is mounted further back and doesn't kill your arms.

Cine City in India (also on eBay Australia) have cheap rigs but still at least AUS$200+ !! Otherwise make your own out of aluminium rails and a foam shoulder pad.

Here is one with the AC-130 and my wife using it..worked a lot better than using the EVF at the back

Chris

Thanks for the info Chris. Sorry for the slow reply - I forgot I created this thread.

I have the HM600 now (as you probably know from my numerous posts about it). So I'm back looking for a decent shoulder rig.

The RedRock Micro shoulder mount looks to be about the best option, but it's pricey. Can anyone recommend any alternatives?

Also, I've been trying to find a loupe that will fit the HM600 but I'm not having much luck. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Don Bloom
February 7th, 2013, 08:42 PM
I used to own a DVMultirig by DVTec at ***** DVTEC - Dvtec support systems for DSLR/ DV/ HDV/ Camcoders (http://www.dvtec.tv) for years and loved it. I just sold it last week since I'm now back to using a compact full sized and didn't need it. Olaf at Westside AV has some great looking stuff and I'll bet his rigs will work with the HM600. Sinces he's here all the time why not look him up and talk to him.

Jody Arnott
February 19th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Anyone had any experience with this?

CameraRibbon QR Shoulder Rig Camera Support for Panasonic, RIG

Lightweight, no frills with tripod quick release. Looks perfect.

Sergiu Barsan
April 26th, 2013, 12:33 PM
A while ago I started to work on a shoulder rig for my camera and step by step I developed it and made it available for others. The support it's made from commercial pvc grade plastic, very durable and light weight.
Have a look and see what you think. We have a mic/video light bracket (not in the pictures) that attaches to the support.
Transylvania Studio (http://transylvaniastudio.com/)

Kevin Duffey
May 5th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Few months later.. what did you end up with Jody?

I bought a Lanparte rig for my canon t2i. Cost about $1700 for everything, but came with 130mw battery, v-mount hdmi splitter, shoulder pad, a few sets of rails, follow focus, matte box, C handle to carry it with, and a few parts. It's pretty nice and about 1/3 the price of a similar configured Red Rock.

Mark Kenfield
May 7th, 2013, 05:29 AM
I've actually just designed a (near universal) shoulder mounting baseplate with Brian Berkey of Berkey System that should fit your needs. I posted up a thread about it here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-f3-cinealta/516319-new-baseplate-shoulder-mount-option-f3.html