View Full Version : Help please..

Gerald Webb
April 25th, 2013, 01:20 AM
GY HM 100
Anyone know what this is- see pic.
Over the space of about an hour, these white dots appeared on the sensor (I presume),
they are on the LCD, external monitor and output to TV through HDMI, and worst of all, in the movie file.
Is there any easy fix?
Any advice appreciated.

Mark Watson
April 25th, 2013, 02:32 AM
There's a note on page 8 in the owner's manual about using the camera outside its temp/humidity limits. Says the CCD can make white spots. Someone else reported the same thing on here a few years back, don't know if he got to the cause of it..

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-70-100-series-camera-systems/236842-2-problems-my-new-hm100.html

Edward Carlson
April 25th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Those look like stuck pixels. I know on the HM700 there's a way to fix them, but I'm not sure if the same applies to the 100.

Don Bloom
April 25th, 2013, 10:34 AM
I own both a 700 and a 100. There is a way to fix dead pixels on the 700, not on the 100 but frankly these don't look like they're dead. It looks like the temp/humidity thing. I saw it once on my 100. Turned it off, let it acclimate a bit longer powered up and the white spots disappeared.
Might be dead pixels but the way to know is turn it off, let it acclimate and turn it on again. If they're gone great, if not, well you'd need to send it in.

Tim Dashwood
April 25th, 2013, 03:18 PM
I have a lot of HM100 footage with a bad pixel so I created this plugin to quickly solve the problem. It basically averages the surrounding pixels and covers the bad one. Mac only.

Editor Essentials – Dead Pixel Fixer | Help (http://www.dashwood3d.com/help/editor-essentials-dead-pixel-fixer/)

Gerald Webb
April 25th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
I woke up this morning, read Dons reply, turned on cam and did a happy backflip. They were gone.
But, went and got the kids up while filming a short test (they love that) and after about 4min the spots came back, but not as bright.
Does this mean it is condensation?
If so, if i run the cam in the backyard for an hour in the sun, would that burn it off?
Really wanted to use this cam over this weekend for a job, if i cant sort it by lunchtime ill have to use another i guess.
Ps. That is a nice looking plug in pack Tim.

Don Bloom
April 25th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Gerald,
Good and bad for you. I guess the only way to know is to try leaving it on in the warm outside. I wish I could give you a definitive answer but...
Good Luck. Keep us up to date.

Gerald Webb
April 25th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Update, ran cam in warm sun for an hour. No change.
Had a thought, maybe going about this the wrong way, so...
Ran cam with 18dec of gain in dark cupboard for an hour. No change.
Checked firmware, there was an update. Updated, no change.
Rang local repair agents,
Them: Its $85 to get it looked at.
Me: Ok, If I bring it straight in can you do it today, assuming it is only software and not a damaged CCD?
Them: We aren't very busy, so maybe....
Me: I need it for a job tonight, if you can't guarantee it will be done today, can I book a day early next week to get it done, so I will have it available for next weekends filming?
Them: We don't really give a time when you will get it back.
Me: OK, so will the $85 be enough to cover the repair if it is software related only?
Them: We can't tell you that without looking at it.
Me: Thanks, goodbye.
End rant.
They are kidding aren't they, is this typical in the electronic repair business?
I run my own business in the building industry and if I operated like this I would never get another job.
Anyway....
Found a workaround, If I add 6db of gain the dots disappear. Go figure.
Is there any problem with having 6db of gain and then adjusting iris and /or AE to suit?

Petter Flink
April 25th, 2013, 11:24 PM
It should be a simple remap of the pixels that's stuck/dead when its at the service center.

Don Bloom
April 26th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Actually Gerald,
that's not uncommon in the electronics repair business, and even other businesses, at least from what I've seen. I took my car to a garage once to get an estimate for some work. they charged me $XX.00 p/h to go thru the car and then I had the choice of what repairs I wanted done at the appropriate rate. My camera tech who worked on my Sony's in the past and now my JVCs has repaired the loose LCD on my 100 and a bad LCOS on my 700. Because the problems were evident and he didn't have to investigate what the problem there is no charge for the look at, but of course parts and labor to fix each problem. If he had to spend an hour trouble shooting well he would charge me a certain rate for that hour and if I fixed the camera that would apply towards the fix.
I'm just saying that until they get into the camera they don't know exactly what they have to do to fix it so I guess I can understand their being a bit vague but I think they might have been a bit TOO vague in this case.

John Nantz
April 26th, 2013, 05:39 AM
There was a discussion about the white dot in the JVC GZ HD section some time back.

Link: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/118604-dreaded-white-dot.html

In skimming though the comments it appears this can be from a couple causes: dead pixel (permanent), or, something to do with heat and/or humidity (intermittent).

I've had some discussions with Waldemar Winkler who owns/owned a JVC HD-7 and his pixel problem was apparently permanent and, sad to say, I think he has since given up on videography work. Given up because of a combination of various factors unrelated to the pixel, but I think the pixel problem was probably just a contributing factor. Waldemar came across this pixel problem while making videos of dancers on stage with a black background so the spot was readily apparent. Probably even more so to an editor with a critical eye like Waldemar.

I get the feeling that using the low-light setting, i.e., high-gain, may be hard on the sensors. I don't have any data for anything to base this on and it is just a gut feeling. Anyway, I hardly ever have used the high gain setting on my GZ HD7 just in case. The HD7 is a really nice camera in many ways and it's too bad that JVC couldn't just make improvements on it instead of just changing the whole size and feel of it.

Additional comment: If my memory serves me, there are other pixel-related posts in this section but this is one that I found.

Gerald Webb
April 27th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Don,
Yes, fair call. I am aware they cannot guarantee anything until they have a look at it. It was more the abysmal attitude to any kind of commitment of time frame to getting the work done.
John,
thanks for the link. I read that thread... and a few others. Seems to be a lot of JVC dots.

The dots came back, even with the gain.
Does anyone know where a person could download the software to carry out the pixel masking ?
I just cant afford to leave it in the shop for an indefinite amount of time.

Don Bloom
April 27th, 2013, 05:30 AM
I guess I'm lucky living where I do. As I stated, both my 100 and 700 went in for some TLC. The loose hinge on the 100s LCD finally bugged me to the point of wanting to fix it and the VF on the 700 needed looking after. OK so I take them into my guy, he spends a bit of time talking with me and looking at the situation, tells me what the problem is, how much it's going to be to fix. He orders the parts, calls me 4 days later, (including the 2 day weekend when parts don't go out of the warehouse), I bring them into to him at 9AM the next day. He say's he'll get them done as soon as possible, I tell him I don't need them for a few days. At 3PM the same day he texts me that the cameras are done and ready! WHAT? Are you kidding? I went the next morning to get them. They were fixed properly and for the amount he quoted. He stated that he while he can't promise that he can deliver service that fast all the time, he try's to for professionals because he knows they need the gear to work.
It's too bad you don't live here he takes stuff thru mail, FedX, UPS ETC. THIS is the kind of guy I like, but like I said before, he's handled my cameras for a long time and I've never had a problem with him, his work or prices. I wish there were more like him. The best part, his attitude. Always a smile and informative.
OK enough of the commercial.