View Full Version : Feedback - Vintage Girl

Dick Mays
January 14th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Well, I did finally get permission to use the music, which I believe is sufficiently evolved enough from the original music of Bob Marley, to constitute a new work. Thanks to Vic should be included in my credits.

My other reason for disqualification is the use of abundant stills instead of video content. The idea was to make a documentary on Michelle DeFillipo, a friend who is an inspirational artist, which she was here staying with us in Atlanta. However, cameras were not allowed in the Atlanta Market, and our video production was cut short by Gestapo type characters in uniform. Question Authority is what I say.

Anyways, the artwork sort of speaks for itself, and the real source of inspiration is the deadline, and the people I care about, Dylan, Lorinda, Guy and Chris Hurd. Doing the DV Challenge has been a wonderful experience. It was a predecessor of many online competitions, and one in which the friendship of the DVinfo community always outweighed the competitive spirit. That friendship is my inspiration. Even though it wasn't convenient for me to do the challenge this year, I want to help keep the competition going. It should survive because there is a wonderful history of personal growth. I learned to make videos here. Of course Joseph Tran was born with talent shoved up his a**, and dominated the landscape for a while, but even Chris Barcelonas, (who I've been told is a lawyer, and we can all agreed what we think about lawyers,) even Chris has been a positive contributor to the community, and what can we say about a competition that makes you feel good about a lawyer! Exactly! Pretty incredible, the whole thing! And maybe the best picture I've ever taken was with the beautiful Lorinda Norton in the Atlanta airport! Wow! The whole thing has been incredible. My only regret, is not getting drunk on Tequila with Dylan Cooper in Vegas. But life is not over!

Anyways, here it is, the Vintage Girl, Michellle DeFillipo:

Vintage Girl Designs - YouTube

Tim Lewis
January 14th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Well done Dick. I agree that the DVinfo team are an inspiration to us all. I certainly wouldn't be entering without their work and encouragement.

It is interesting to hear some of the story behind the shoot. The camera Nazis sound like a terrible lot. From what I have read in other places, they are probably retired UK police officers!

The film does convey the inspiring nature of Michelle. Well done.

Trond Saetre
January 15th, 2014, 04:21 AM
Hi Dick,
I enjoyed watching your film, and I totally agree with Tim. DVInfo is a great inspiration. Have learned so much from all the great people here.
Well done!

Lorinda Norton
January 17th, 2014, 12:41 AM
Dick Mays, you lovable rebel! Yes, I will always remember when we finally got to meet in Atlanta. Except for the fact that it was way too brief, it was a magical time for me to see my friend face-to-face after so many years of online fun. :)

Now your words are making me feel even worse for not getting an entry submitted. Here I came up with this dreadful theme yet couldn't get inspired enough to work out a film. I'll think of you next time and try harder.

This entry was inspired in that you can put it to good use outside of the challenge. And even more inspired was your inclusion of the artist's calendar with the challenge dates as a fun surprise! I loved it!!

Dick Mays
January 18th, 2014, 10:05 AM
I think some wine was involved when I made my posting. Just got around to watching them all, and it seems like we all struggled a bit with the theme. Some nice work by all, but I felt like I phoned my entry in, not up to the normal Dick Mays standard of making the audience uncomfortable at some point.

Everyone should see Dylan's entry, maybe the most inspired of the lot. I can't believe no one else ever came up with Dylan's idea for getting more light into the lens. Really had a great laugh on the line that you can be a real filmmaker with everything out of focus, as it seems to me that is really the case. I loved Beasts of the Southern Wild, but when did focus hunting become an artistic choice?

This year, new inspiration for me. I know it has been missing.