Feedback - Vintage Girl at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Our contest series unites for a common cause...

Old January 14th, 2014, 07:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Feedback - Vintage Girl

Well, I did finally get permission to use the music, which I believe is sufficiently evolved enough from the original music of Bob Marley, to constitute a new work. Thanks to Vic should be included in my credits.

My other reason for disqualification is the use of abundant stills instead of video content. The idea was to make a documentary on Michelle DeFillipo, a friend who is an inspirational artist, which she was here staying with us in Atlanta. However, cameras were not allowed in the Atlanta Market, and our video production was cut short by Gestapo type characters in uniform. Question Authority is what I say.

Anyways, the artwork sort of speaks for itself, and the real source of inspiration is the deadline, and the people I care about, Dylan, Lorinda, Guy and Chris Hurd. Doing the DV Challenge has been a wonderful experience. It was a predecessor of many online competitions, and one in which the friendship of the DVinfo community always outweighed the competitive spirit. That friendship is my inspiration. Even though it wasn't convenient for me to do the challenge this year, I want to help keep the competition going. It should survive because there is a wonderful history of personal growth. I learned to make videos here. Of course Joseph Tran was born with talent shoved up his a**, and dominated the landscape for a while, but even Chris Barcelonas, (who I've been told is a lawyer, and we can all agreed what we think about lawyers,) even Chris has been a positive contributor to the community, and what can we say about a competition that makes you feel good about a lawyer! Exactly! Pretty incredible, the whole thing! And maybe the best picture I've ever taken was with the beautiful Lorinda Norton in the Atlanta airport! Wow! The whole thing has been incredible. My only regret, is not getting drunk on Tequila with Dylan Cooper in Vegas. But life is not over!

Anyways, here it is, the Vintage Girl, Michellle DeFillipo:

Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Feedback - Vintage Girl

Well done Dick. I agree that the DVinfo team are an inspiration to us all. I certainly wouldn't be entering without their work and encouragement.

It is interesting to hear some of the story behind the shoot. The camera Nazis sound like a terrible lot. From what I have read in other places, they are probably retired UK police officers!

The film does convey the inspiring nature of Michelle. Well done.
Old January 15th, 2014, 04:21 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Dick,
I enjoyed watching your film, and I totally agree with Tim. DVInfo is a great inspiration. Have learned so much from all the great people here.
Well done!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 12:41 AM   #4
Wrangler

Dick Mays, you lovable rebel! Yes, I will always remember when we finally got to meet in Atlanta. Except for the fact that it was way too brief, it was a magical time for me to see my friend face-to-face after so many years of online fun. :)

Now your words are making me feel even worse for not getting an entry submitted. Here I came up with this dreadful theme yet couldn't get inspired enough to work out a film. I'll think of you next time and try harder.

This entry was inspired in that you can put it to good use outside of the challenge. And even more inspired was your inclusion of the artist's calendar with the challenge dates as a fun surprise! I loved it!!
Old January 18th, 2014, 10:05 AM   #5
Major Player

I think some wine was involved when I made my posting. Just got around to watching them all, and it seems like we all struggled a bit with the theme. Some nice work by all, but I felt like I phoned my entry in, not up to the normal Dick Mays standard of making the audience uncomfortable at some point.

Everyone should see Dylan's entry, maybe the most inspired of the lot. I can't believe no one else ever came up with Dylan's idea for getting more light into the lens. Really had a great laugh on the line that you can be a real filmmaker with everything out of focus, as it seems to me that is really the case. I loved Beasts of the Southern Wild, but when did focus hunting become an artistic choice?

This year, new inspiration for me. I know it has been missing.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge