View Full Version : Battery and connection cable for Flash XDR?

Tristan A. Howard
March 20th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I finally decided to take the plunge into tapeless recording. I just replaced my XL H1A with an XLH1s and also got one of Convergent’s Flash XDR devices. Unfortunately, I still need to get a battery, charger, and suitable connection cable, so I can use the Flash XDR in a portable manner. I’m mainly going to use it for wildlife/nature cinematography.

I looked at various old threads. I think something like the battery below would work well for me.

Anton Bauer ElipZ 10K Battery and Charger Kit ELIPZ 10K PACKAGE

However, I couldn’t find a suitable cable to attach the Flash XDR to that battery. In a thread, I read the Elipz to 4-Pin XLR would work, but I couldn’t find that cable in my online searches.

Any advice on suitable battery/charger/cable combinations? Most of the threads I’ve found on the topic are a few years old. Thanks!

Regards,
Tristan

Tristan A. Howard
April 5th, 2014, 07:39 PM
It took a few weeks, but I finally found a satisfactory setup for my Flash XDR. I got a 5.8-pound Bescor MM-9XLRNC Starved Electrolyte Battery that came with both a charger and an appropriate connecting cord. It was about $118 on B&H. That's a tremendous bargain compared to some of the lithium ion solutions I was investigating. It powers my Flash XDR for about 4 hours or so, though I have to wear it on a leather belt. It's heavy, but with the battery on a belt, and my Flash XDR in a shoulder bag, I can be reasonably mobile.