View Full Version : Saving as a quicktime movie 2.35:1, H.264.

Steve Shovlar
October 17th, 2005, 04:16 PM
I am editing a piece of footage shot on a Sony FX1, native 16:9. I have used the Matte widescreen filter in the effects of FCP 5 to make the footage 2.35:1. Great. Now I want to export it using quicktime movie H.264 codec.

But there is no 2.35:1 selection, only 4:3 and 16/9. So how do I do it? Custom? Obviously I want to shrink the movie down to a decent size for the net. Help!!

Thanks in advance.

Jack Zhang
October 17th, 2005, 04:55 PM
What I reccommend is that you make the render size 1280x532 (720p) or 1920x798 (1080p). (according to my calculations.)

Dave Perry
October 17th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Well, since you've used the widescreen filter, all you have done is chop the top and bottom off of the 16:9 footage. So, use widescreen dimensioins. You will have a letterboxed widescreen movie. Or, you could create a custom timeline with dimensions equal to 2.35:1 and bring your footage into it they same way you would bring 4:3 footage into a 16:9 timeline, to fit the frame width, effectively cutting off the top and bottom.

Lewis Lehman
October 17th, 2005, 11:26 PM
compressor has QT 6 and 7 options for web content. very handy.

lewis

Steve Shovlar
October 18th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Well, since you've used the widescreen filter, all you have done is chop the top and bottom off of the 16:9 footage. So, use widescreen dimensioins. You will have a letterboxed widescreen movie. Or, you could create a custom timeline with dimensions equal to 2.35:1 and bring your footage into it they same way you would bring 4:3 footage into a 16:9 timeline, to fit the frame width, effectively cutting off the top and bottom.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, all the Matte widescreen filter does is crop off the top and bottom of the image. the image is still 16:9, as the black bars are part of the image.

So whats the best way to go about it? I don't know how to make a custom timeline. Can someone explain briefly how to do it please?

thanks
Steve

Dave Perry
October 18th, 2005, 06:26 AM
To change the sequence settings, control click it and choose settings. In the aspect ratio dropdown for Frame Size, choose Custom, then enter your dimensions.

I would suggest rendering out a self contained FCP movie first, then creasting the sequence with custom size and put the movie in it so you won't have to adjust every clip in your original.