Saving as a quicktime movie 2.35:1, H.264. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 17th, 2005, 04:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Saving as a quicktime movie 2.35:1, H.264.

I am editing a piece of footage shot on a Sony FX1, native 16:9. I have used the Matte widescreen filter in the effects of FCP 5 to make the footage 2.35:1. Great. Now I want to export it using quicktime movie H.264 codec.

But there is no 2.35:1 selection, only 4:3 and 16/9. So how do I do it? Custom? Obviously I want to shrink the movie down to a decent size for the net. Help!!

Thanks in advance.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

What I reccommend is that you make the render size 1280x532 (720p) or 1920x798 (1080p). (according to my calculations.)
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Well, since you've used the widescreen filter, all you have done is chop the top and bottom off of the 16:9 footage. So, use widescreen dimensioins. You will have a letterboxed widescreen movie. Or, you could create a custom timeline with dimensions equal to 2.35:1 and bring your footage into it they same way you would bring 4:3 footage into a 16:9 timeline, to fit the frame width, effectively cutting off the top and bottom.
Old October 17th, 2005, 11:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

compressor

compressor has QT 6 and 7 options for web content. very handy.

lewis
Lewis Lehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 06:13 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Perry
Well, since you've used the widescreen filter, all you have done is chop the top and bottom off of the 16:9 footage. So, use widescreen dimensioins. You will have a letterboxed widescreen movie. Or, you could create a custom timeline with dimensions equal to 2.35:1 and bring your footage into it they same way you would bring 4:3 footage into a 16:9 timeline, to fit the frame width, effectively cutting off the top and bottom.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, all the Matte widescreen filter does is crop off the top and bottom of the image. the image is still 16:9, as the black bars are part of the image.

So whats the best way to go about it? I don't know how to make a custom timeline. Can someone explain briefly how to do it please?

thanks
Steve
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 06:26 AM   #6
Major Player

To change the sequence settings, control click it and choose settings. In the aspect ratio dropdown for Frame Size, choose Custom, then enter your dimensions.

I would suggest rendering out a self contained FCP movie first, then creasting the sequence with custom size and put the movie in it so you won't have to adjust every clip in your original.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite