View Full Version : places to shoot LA skyline

Paul Rodgers
October 22nd, 2005, 04:10 PM
Can anyone recommend any safe places to get the LA skyline. I am a student and shooting on a XL1. Is it worth is to get $25 dollar permit?

Charles Papert
October 22nd, 2005, 06:43 PM
Paul:

Wouldn't worry about the permit, just stay off private property.

The best views of the skyline are from the south of downtown with the hills in the background. Pick a clear day (we're in the right time of year) and shoot late afternoon or very early morning. I can't give you an exact location off the top of my head, perhaps someone else can--somewhere off the 110 freeway a few miles south of the 10 is where it looks good to me.

Shawn Redford
October 22nd, 2005, 10:45 PM
If you're willing to hike a bit, you can get some great arial-type views from various trails or fire-roads in the Angeles National Forest. See the book "Trails of the Angeles" for details on hikes. If you're not willing to hike, you still will be able to get some good footage when Chantry Flats re-opens (hopefully later this year) by driving north on Santa Anita Ave from the 210. They're still repairing the mountain road from the January rains, but supposedly it's finished. If you have a long lens for your XL1, definitely bring it and pick a very clear day if you want to shoot downtown LA. Mostly these shots would give you a very wide view of all of LA with the downtown area being visible but small compared to a helicopter shot. Mulholland Dr would be another choice, but it's not nearly as grand (nor removed from the public) as the former places.

Shane Ross
October 22nd, 2005, 10:56 PM
From the Getty, great view.