places to shoot LA skyline at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 22nd, 2005, 04:10 PM   #1
New Boot

places to shoot LA skyline

Can anyone recommend any safe places to get the LA skyline. I am a student and shooting on a XL1. Is it worth is to get $25 dollar permit?
Paul Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 06:43 PM   #2
Wrangler

Paul:

Wouldn't worry about the permit, just stay off private property.

The best views of the skyline are from the south of downtown with the hills in the background. Pick a clear day (we're in the right time of year) and shoot late afternoon or very early morning. I can't give you an exact location off the top of my head, perhaps someone else can--somewhere off the 110 freeway a few miles south of the 10 is where it looks good to me.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 10:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If you're willing to hike a bit, you can get some great arial-type views from various trails or fire-roads in the Angeles National Forest. See the book "Trails of the Angeles" for details on hikes. If you're not willing to hike, you still will be able to get some good footage when Chantry Flats re-opens (hopefully later this year) by driving north on Santa Anita Ave from the 210. They're still repairing the mountain road from the January rains, but supposedly it's finished. If you have a long lens for your XL1, definitely bring it and pick a very clear day if you want to shoot downtown LA. Mostly these shots would give you a very wide view of all of LA with the downtown area being visible but small compared to a helicopter shot. Mulholland Dr would be another choice, but it's not nearly as grand (nor removed from the public) as the former places.
Shawn Redford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 10:56 PM   #4
Major Player

From the Getty, great view.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion